PSU compatability check

Rhombo

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
Hi all, Ive been using these forums as a helpful pool of information for a while now, but this is my first post.

I am building a PC, and I just want to double check that there are no compatibility issues with my chosen PSU before I order it.

Heres a link to the build in pc part picker http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/ZqZZkL
But heres the rundown;

CPU: AMD FX8350
MoBo: MSI 970a SLI Krait edition
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 907 Winforce 4gb
16gb of ram through 4 sticks (not yet selected)
Bluray writer (not yet selected)
WiFi card (not yet selected)
Samsung 850 250gb SSD
1TB hdd (not yet selected)
Case: Corsair Carbide 100r

PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Fully modular

I am building this rig to be SLI ready when the time comes to pick up another GTX970 (hence the MoBo and PSU capacity).
I have checked out the PSU and it seems to be a fit and include enough cables to feed 2 Gigabyte Geforce GTX 907's which each take 1 8 pin and 1 6 pin power cable.
And it seems to be enough power to handle this load.
I don't know of any issues between this PSU and this motherboard.

It would be greatly appreciated if the people in the know could give this a once over and let me know if this is a compatible build, or if I need to change PSU.
Thank you all.

Daniel.

Solution
Please just spend the extra money and go Skylake. Nobody should be buying FX CPUs for gaming anymore. For cheap workstations sure, but not for gaming. They're obscenely outdated to the point where the Skylake i3s can outperform equally priced FX CPUs. If you buy an FX now there's a good chance you might have to upgrade in 2 years max, and no, overclocking won't save you there because due to the power needs of an overclocked FX you need a high end board to achieve any meaningful overclock with them.

As for the PSU, yes it's a great PSU and fully compatible with your rig.
Please just spend the extra money and go Skylake. Nobody should be buying FX CPUs for gaming anymore. For cheap workstations sure, but not for gaming. They're obscenely outdated to the point where the Skylake i3s can outperform equally priced FX CPUs. If you buy an FX now there's a good chance you might have to upgrade in 2 years max, and no, overclocking won't save you there because due to the power needs of an overclocked FX you need a high end board to achieve any meaningful overclock with them.

As for the PSU, yes it's a great PSU and fully compatible with your rig.

Solution

Rhombo

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016

Thanks heaps for the reply mate.
My rationale behind the AMD build was price, with future SLI in mind.

When looking at AMD, Skylake or Haswell, SLI compatible motherboards were a lot cheaper on amd.
AMD and haswell are both in the same boat where, when its time to upgrade I'll need a new motherboard aswell.
Skylake quadcores (needed for some AAA titles) and their SLI compatible motherboards ended up being about $150 more expensive. (also ddr4 ram is a bit more too)
Therefore when its time to upgrade that 150 I saved on the initial build will go toward a skylake (or zen) motherboard.
So basically: In the long run it works out to be price equivalent(roughly) but I get a bit of a cheaper bang for buck build initially.

So for my budget concious build AMD with the notion of an upgrade in a couple of years won out.

But I agree with you; The skylake platform is definitely better.
Thats just my reasoning behind the build.
Thanks man :)

Buying something now and then upgrading is not cheaper than buying something slightly more expensive now and not needing an upgrade.

Buying FX now and upgrading later (with current prices) = $900 (disregarding RAM cost)
Buying Skylake now and not requiring upgrade = $500
And if you get an i5 6600k the mobo+CPU cost goes to $600 and not requiring upgrade for a much longer time.

So...