Question PSU Compatibility - Abit IP35 PRO

Feb 25, 2019
Hello all. I have as problem getting a replacement PSU for my desktop system that I hope someone can help me with.
My original psu failed so I bought an Aerocool Integrator 600w that provided all the necessary sockets for my board and graphics card. (I stupidly threw out the original before checking the specs!)
Unfortunately, the pc will not boot up whatever I do with this new psu fitted. The motherboard led lights up, the error LED shows 8.2 (which means "Enable ATX Power Supply") the fans spin for a second then stop, repeating every 5 seconds.
I have tried resetting the cmos, removing all but one stick of ram, removing all ram, unplugging all the drives etc but I still get error 8.2.
I have tried an old 300w psu I have (using various adapters for pci-e sata etc) , and my system powers up and runs, so I'm at a loss about why the new one seems to be incompatible. I wonder if I need a psu with both a 5v and 12 v rail?
My mobo is an Abit IP35 PRO with 8 gb of DDr2 ram, an Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 graphics card, running an Intel Core 2 Quad @2.4ghz.

Here are the voltages of the Aerocool Integrator 600w that does not work ;-
AC INPUT: 230 VAC 4.5A 47-53Hz​
DC
Output
Max​
+3.3V​
+5V​
+12V1​
-12V​
+5VSB​
20A​
17A​
46A​
0.3A​
2.5A​
600W

And here are the voltages of the HPC-300-202 PFC that does work :-
Output
Voltage​
Load Range
MAX​
Regulation​
Ripple
Peak-to-Peak
Max.​
1. +5V​
25.0A​
+5% ~ -5%​
50 mV​
2. +12V​
13.0A​
+5% ~ -5%​
120 mV​
3. -5V​
0.3A​
+10% ~ -10%​
50 mV​
4. -12V​
0.8A​
+10% ~ -10%​
120 mV​
5. +5Vs​
1.5A​
+5% ~ -5%​
50 mV​
6. +3.3V​
20.0A​
+5% ~ -5%​
50 mV​

Any advice on what type of psu will work with my pc would be greatly appreciated.

You bought a cheap (as they - the google search results) PSU. Your system won't boot properly when this one is connected?
And then when you switch back to your old PSU, then everything works ok?
And no connectors are forgotten - nor is any other changes to the system made while switching to old PSU?

If all that is true, then it strongly suggest that you've received a very bad PSU.

Feb 25, 2019
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, all the necessary cables are connected, I'm certain of that.
My old psu died and was thrown away, so I connected one I had laying around in an attempt to confirm that the mobo was still working ok, and it is working fine.
I'm returning the new psu, so is there a particular brand or model psu that I should go for? I'm concerned that I'll have another psu with the same result if there is a compatibility issue that I'm not aware of.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The Aerocool Integrator is not a horrible PSU.

However you're trying to power ancient hardware with it and the requirements of new hardware have changed. I think your main issue is the Aerocool's low amperage on the 5.5v line (17A) compared to the other PSU (25A).

Look for a Seasonic S12II, its an old design with higher amperage on the 5.5v line (24A) that should work for you.

Feb 25, 2019
Yes, its an old mobo, but it is so totally reliable that I'm loathed to upgrade the whole system while its working so well.
I suspected it was related to the 5v somehow, I'll look for a Seasonic.
Thanks very much for your advice.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I know. I just want to highlight the fact that a psu that have a higher amperage rating compare to another one, is not neccesary the better one.
But it probably helps the manufactor to sell more. . .

Generally lower end PSUs are low amp on the 12v rail, So basically while it will say "700W" the amperage on the 12v rail indicates it will be a cold day in hell before that PSU ever puts out 700w. Maybe it would seconds before it blows up in a ball of flame. The average Joe doesn't know this, they just see "700w" and think "thats enough watts!"

In this case he needs high amp on 5.5v, which is just a function of old design, its just no longer needed with current hardware. The only old design still available new, that I know will work and I know is good quality is the Seasonic S12II/M12II.