[SOLVED] PSU consistently reading high wattage draw from wall ?

TK31

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Hi

Just a general question, I recently bought a RMx 1000W PSU. Just to see how much my PC is drawing, I attached a power meter to the system only, not the screen, speakers etc, and noticed that its drawing 1034W on average with a peak of 1079W while playing intensive games. It's not a spike and continues hovering around 1030 - 1050W while gaming. I've done some reading into it that this is mainly due to power conversion/efficiency of the PSU, but I've never seen a PSU actually hit or get close to its rated limits. Will it be safe to continue using in this way or would it be better to think about a 1200W etc. PSU.

PC Specs:
GPU: AMD 6900XT OC with 3 PCIE power plugs (2x 8-pin, 1x 6-pin) usually runs peak 389W and average 351W according to monitoring tools while gaming. Power limits increased through MPT to 339W and boosted by 15% in Wattman/Radeon Software for OC purposes.
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 OC to 4.3ghz @ 1.3v
Motherboard: NZXT B550 N7
RAM: 2x Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB, 3200mhz
2x SSD NVMe
1x SSD SATA3
6x 120mm fans and 1x 140mm fan
AIO 240mm cooler

Solution
D
Set it to rise and balanced plan and I also don’t believe that that cheapo meter is actually working correctly

Test a bunch of other devices with it and see what it says about them especially if you know the wattage you should be able to see if it’s faulting or not

TK31

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
What power meter you using

I'm using a local brand meter bought from a hardware shop.

Arlec Energy Cost Meter
Screenshot-20210811-231009-Samsung-Internet.jpg

TK31

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
What power plan are you using on the PC?
I'm using the Ryzen High Performance plan that came with the chipset drivers.

I don’t believe the power reading. That system could not peak at the 900w needed to achieve 1000+ W at the wall let alone average it.
This is exactly my thinking.. even giving generous estimates to the fans, CPU and motherboard and USB peripherals, it doesnt add up to the 600W extra power from the GPU draw. I've tested out the meter on known sources and it seems accurate..., but im leaning more towards something wrong with the meter over the PSU actually drawing 1000W+ consistently during high load. The PSU however does let off some epic coil whine

D

Deleted member 14196

Set it to rise and balanced plan and I also don’t believe that that cheapo meter is actually working correctly

Test a bunch of other devices with it and see what it says about them especially if you know the wattage you should be able to see if it’s faulting or not

Solution