Question PSU 'crackling' noise under heavy load?

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I built a computer in late August, brand new with all new components. My PSU is the Cx750m (grey label) and I noticed a little while back that when under heavy load in a game when the psu is working hard I hear a faint crackling sound coming from the Psu. I have to literally put my ear to the psu to even hear it. It doesnt seem to happen all the time unless the psu is really under load.

It seems like this has been happening since I got the psu and built the pc so it doesnt seem like it just started happening. I've had no performance issues or anything to worry about so could this just be normal coil whine or something with the capacitors?

Ryzen 2700x
Rtx 2070 super
16gb ram 3200mhz
Cx750m psu
500gb ssd
2tb hdd

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system specs and OS.

Tally up the wattages for all installed components using the high end value for any wattage ranges. After totaled add 25%.

How close to 750 is the end result? Overall, I expect that the total will be well below 750 - no harm in making sure.

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Update your post to include full system specs and OS.

Tally up the wattages for all installed components using the high end value for any wattage ranges. After totaled add 25%.

How close to 750 is the end result? Overall, I expect that the total will be well below 750 - no harm in making sure.

I just updated it. It seems like I have plenty of headroom.

Ralston18

Titan
A couple of options at this point:

1) Inspect the PSU as best you can with the PC off and unplugged. Look for signs of sparking; brown, black marks anywhere. Do not take the PSU apart - just look inside through whatever openings you can. Bright flashlight may help.

Also - use your sense of smell for burning or hot-metallic scents.

2) Run the PC in a dark room and again look in the PSU to see if there are small sparks anywhere. Especially when the PSU is under heavy load.

If you can determine the source location in the PSU that may provide some insight as to what is happening.

Even if new the PSU may be defective or failing in some manner. Plan accordingly.

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
A couple of options at this point:

1) Inspect the PSU as best you can with the PC off and unplugged. Look for signs of sparking; brown, black marks anywhere. Do not take the PSU apart - just look inside through whatever openings you can. Bright flashlight may help.

Also - use your sense of smell for burning or hot-metallic scents.

2) Run the PC in a dark room and again look in the PSU to see if there are small sparks anywhere. Especially when the PSU is under heavy load.

If you can determine the source location in the PSU that may provide some insight as to what is happening.

Even if new the PSU may be defective or failing in some manner. Plan accordingly.

I've been inspecting it for a little bit now, I've never noticed any burning smells coming from anything. It just seems like when the gpu works harder, the psu works harder as well and makes a faint crackling sound that you can only hear if you put your ear to the psu.

I've heard that my psu since it's a double forward model that higher end gpus could make the capacitor make noise. Could that be what's going on?