[SOLVED] Psu crash

Ray Plays

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
Hey!
Tonight I just played pubg, when I heard a "bang" from my pc case, my pc turned totally off, the case, the gpu, the cpu cooler and the psu was really hot...
I waited about half hour ,then tried to start is, I turned on the psu, my rgb keyboard wich is attached to the mobo and my mouse laser is started glowing, but when I presses the power buttom nothing happened, I think my psu dead, maybe it was too weak for my pc, idk what I can do buy a better one or send my psu to a service?

My pc:
Case: genesis irid300
Mobo: dell alienware aurora r4 ms-7951
Cpu: intel i7-960 3,4ghz quad core
Gpu: powercolor red devil rx 480 8gb ddr5
Psu: njoy ayrus 500w
Ram: 6x4 ddr3 hynix 1333mhz

Typical low quality psu failure. You start by trying a new psu and then other components. As above there is a reasonable chance this killed other components.

From a quick search that psu only had 372w on the 12v rail. A good quality 400w could do that. Even by its own spec it was never a 500w psu, this was more like a poor quality 400w.

Ray Plays

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
I bought a new Thermaltake 1200w psu and putted it in my case, luckily looks everything works again fine, nothing crashed or broken, btw I'm now doing a 2 hour test and let's see if something is wrong!

I bought a new Thermaltake 1200w psu and putted it in my case, luckily looks everything works again fine, nothing crashed or broken, btw I'm now doing a 2 hour test and let's see if something is wrong!

You know that you could've easily got away with a 550W great quality PSU on that system and probably spent a lot less.

Should've asked for recommendations, before buying the PSU... usually thermaltake doesn't have too good of a reputation in making on power supplies.

What's the exact model of that Thermaltake 1200W PSU? ... I'm just curious.

Last edited:

Ray Plays

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
You know that you could've easily get away with a 550W great quality PSU on that system and probably spent a lot less.

Should've asked for recommendations, before buying the PSU... usually thermaltake doesn't have too good of a reputation in making on power supplies

What's the exact model of that Thermaltake 1200W PSU? ... I'm just curious.
It's a Thermaltake 1200M toughpower

Ray Plays

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
If you can return it, return it. CV series isnt great either, but not bad

RX480 are pretty power-hungry, but the toughpower gold are one of Thermaltake's not horrific models. Its not good, but eh
I can return it, thats why I ask!
So wich one will be good for me?
It's needs to be 550w at least?
I see a psu named aerocool, I never seen this before, what about that? Good or trash

Yeah... pretty mediocre unit. I'd advice to replace that. It's quite old too.
You should return it.

A 550W unit will be sufficient, but you can go the extra mile and get a 650W model... 650W from a great quality PSU will be plenty for any single GPU system.

PSU recommendations: Corsair TXM/RMx, Seasonic Focus Plus, EVGA SuperNOVA G3, SuperFlower LEADEX III.

Solution