[SOLVED] PSU dead after replacing Motherboard

Nov 19, 2020
My 2 year old system died last week with symptoms that it would power up for 20 seconds, die. Autopower up for 20 seconds, die. repeat ad nauseum. PSU checked good, both paperclip test and voltage test. Ended up determining motherboard was bad (ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4). Ordered replacement board (ASRock Z390 Pro4 - so not exact match, but had all I needed). Replaced motherboard and PC ran fine for about an hour or so. Then it just died. Pressing power would spin the fans for half a second and then die. Now the PSU fails the paperclip test.

I could order a new power supply, but am concerned that something else might be going on with the system since this is a second component failure. I'm plugged in through a Cyber Power 1350PFCLCD UPS so shouldn't be getting any spikes. Any suggestions?

Specs:
Motherboard original: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4
Motherboard now: ASRock Z390 Pro4
CPU: Intel Core I7-8700K
RAM: GEIL SUPER LUCE 8G DDR4-3000 x 4
PSU: Corsair TX850M 80 Plus 850W
GPU: ASUS GEFORCE RTX 2070 DUAL 8GB GDDR6
SSD: 512GB Samsung 970 Pro PCIe NVMe M.2
UPS: 1350PFCLCD UPS

Solution
This:

"Ended up determining motherboard was bad (ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4) "

Who/how was that determination made? Basis?

The UPS will provide protection from outside power spikes/issues/outages but that protection is likely limited. Do you commonly have power issues in your area?

My concern would be the existing PSU. Even though it originally passed the paper clip test and voltage tests an intermittent problem could explain that.

Plus the voltages are not under load so that can also mask a problem.

Consider that the current PSU may be causing the demise (or apparent demise) of the motherboards.

Do you have another known working PSU to swap in? And still have the original motherboard?

Ralston18

Titan
This:

The UPS will provide protection from outside power spikes/issues/outages but that protection is likely limited. Do you commonly have power issues in your area?

My concern would be the existing PSU. Even though it originally passed the paper clip test and voltage tests an intermittent problem could explain that.

Consider that the current PSU may be causing the demise (or apparent demise) of the motherboards.

Do you have another known working PSU to swap in? And still have the original motherboard?

Solution
Nov 19, 2020
This:

I tested removing parts one by one and ultimately got down to just the motherboard, cpu and psu and it still was doing the same thing. Also cleared CMOS. Since the PSU "tested" good, I figured it was either the motherboard or the CPU. Motherboard was cheaper so went with that. But thought I got it correct since it powered up and ran for a good while with the new motherboard.

Used to have a lot of momentary power outages, but that has improved in the last couple of years. Still happens periodically, but not on a daily basis or even weekly basis.

I still have the original motherboard but do not have a suitable PSU to test with. Will probably order one but wanted to get some input before laying out the money for it to make sure it is not likely to be the some other device like the GPU causing the problem.

Thanks

Oct 29, 2020
The PSU may test "good" on no-load but may exhibit a different behaviour when loaded. The circumstances put suspicion on the PSU as you are unlikely to get a new motherboard with the same defect as the old one. Your best option now is to order a new PSU and hope the new MB isn't fried.

Nov 19, 2020
The PSU may test "good" on no-load but may exhibit a different behaviour when loaded. The circumstances put suspicion on the PSU as you are unlikely to get a new motherboard with the same defect as the old one. Your best option now is to order a new PSU and hope the new MB isn't fried.

I wouldn't say that the MBs had the same defect. The original issue on the original board was a start, 20 second run, die, auto restart 20 second run, die, repeat until power disconnected. With the new MB, it just barely starts to spin the fans (not even a full second) and then dies. No auto restart. But I do like the thought of it being the PSU all along and maybe I have two working MBs now. Trying to find a suitable PSU to test with.

Nov 19, 2020
There are no such PSU, you either have a modern TX-m 80+ Gold and in this case since this indeed looks like a PSU issue i'd talk with Corsair support, or you have ancient TX 80+ (just 80+, non-modular) from like 2008-2010 which you shouldn't use today.

The verbiage I put in the specs was from the invoice where I purchased the computer which had the parts listed out. But the label on the power supply itself says TX850M. And I have already started a RMA process with Corsair.

Nov 19, 2020
The good news is that Corsair authorized the RMA and is shipping me a new power supply. Props to Corsair for their warranty and customer support. Will give an update when it arrives and see if I still have two dead motherboards or not.

Nov 19, 2020
Replacement power supply finally came in. Hooked it up to the new motherboard and it is working! I would like to hook it up to the old motherboard.
How much risk is there that the motherboard could cause damage to the power supply? Or should I just leave well enough alone and forget about the old motherboard?

Nov 19, 2020
Final follow up. I couldn't resist trying the new power supply with the original motherboard. Unfortunately it still exhibited the same start, run 20 seconds, die, restart, repeat behavior. So I think I can confidently conclude that the original motherboard had gone bad. The new motherboard with all the original components (cpu, ram, ssd, gpu, etc) works with the new power supply.

TRENDING THREADS