[SOLVED] PSU dead?

Mar 10, 2022
A few years ago I purchased This PC from Amazon. Within the first month I replaced the CPU Cooler with a H100i Pro. Had iBuyPower send me a new RTX 2070 because the one that came with it was artifacting. Upgraded the RAM to 32GB eventually. Added a 1TB NVMe SSD.

Today I heard a big popping sound just as my PC shut off. There was a smokey smell coming from the PC and it would not power on again. I'm guessing the PSU died. This is the first desktop PC I've made upgrades to and am hoping this is the only thing that broke. Is it possible my motherboard is dead too? Could using the PC too much and having too many USB devices plugged into it cause the failure?

I ordered this PSU as a replacement. Is it better that I have more watts this time?

Thanks!

Solution
That RMx 750 is a good PSU. Good quality build and a 10-year warranty. I can't see specs of your old one on that Amazon page. Just says 600W PSU.

As for the popping sound goes you can open the case and inspect the motherboard for any damaged SMDs such as capacitors.

If after the pop the system won't POST and turn on it might be the PSU that failed. You can do the paper clip test to see if the PSU would turn on or not. This is not a test to see if it's working properly. Just tells you if it's dead.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
That RMx 750 is a good PSU. Good quality build and a 10-year warranty. I can't see specs of your old one on that Amazon page. Just says 600W PSU.

As for the popping sound goes you can open the case and inspect the motherboard for any damaged SMDs such as capacitors.

If after the pop the system won't POST and turn on it might be the PSU that failed. You can do the paper clip test to see if the PSU would turn on or not. This is not a test to see if it's working properly. Just tells you if it's dead.

Solution
Is it possible my motherboard is dead too?
If/when PSU dies every component is at risk of dying too. The worse the PSU the higher the chance. What PSU you have there now?
Could using the PC too much and having too many USB devices plugged into it cause the failure?
No, as long as PSU is proper quality and wattage.
Is it better that I have more watts this time?
One of the best available models. Having more wattage never hurts.