Question PSU didn't turn on for an hour then randomly turned on

Kdingdong

Prominent
Jun 22, 2021
PSU - Seasonic Focus GM650

PC randomly shut down a couple of times then showed DRAM light so I cleaned and checked each stick. While I was doing that my pc for a few mins just would not turn on. No response after pressing the power button. I cleaned the and other components while waiting for a few mins and it fixed itself so I got back to work.

PC then again shut down this time it just won't start so i took out the psu, shorted the two motherboard cable pins to start it without a pc to check what the culprit was and again no response. I tried 4-5 times then gave up. Just went back to it after an hour to check again and this time it turned on and still running.

Any idea what could cause this timeout that was letting my psu from turning on?

Update: after it running empty for 15 mins I turned it off and then on again. And it won't turn on again

Lutfij

Titan
Please pass on the full specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

include the age of your PSU as well.

Do you get a mild tingling sensation when your bare feet are making contact with a non-tiled, non-carpeted floor while you touch the metal part of your case?

Kdingdong

Prominent
Jun 22, 2021
Please pass on the full specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

include the age of your PSU as well.

Do you get a mild tingling sensation when your bare feet are making contact with a non-tiled, non-carpeted floor while you touch the metal part of your case?
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: Aorus b450 elite rev 1
Ram: 16gb ballistix sport 3000mhz
HDD/SSD: 1x WD 1gb 5400rpm, 1x seagate 2gb 7200rpm, 1x SN550 500gb (boot)
GPU: EVGA 3060 black
PSU: Seasonic focus GM650
Chassis: Coolermaster MB520
Monitor: LG 29UM60P and Dell cheapo 24 inch

Age of PSU 2.5 years

There used to be no tingling, I didn't check today but just touched psu and it gave me a shock. Still not turning on though

The psu is out of the case connected to the wall directly. I have a jumper shorting the pins to test if it starts or not

Lutfij

Titan
I have a jumper shorting the pins to test if it starts or not
And...does it turn on? What you've described is a paperclip test. It doesn't tell you anything outside of it powering up, if it's working or not. The test doesn't tell you how much power it can effectively output to your entire platform.

Just an FYI, your PSU isn't enough for your platform with an RTX3060 in it.

Kdingdong

Prominent
Jun 22, 2021
I have a jumper shorting the pins to test if it starts or not
And...does it turn on? What you've described is a paperclip test. It doesn't tell you anything outside of it powering up, if it's working or not. The test doesn't tell you how much power it can effectively output to your entire platform.

Just an FYI, your PSU isn't enough for your platform with an RTX3060 in it.
Yup the paper clip test. Like i mentioned in the main text it randomly turns on sometimes then if i turn it off or it turns off itself then it doesn't turn on for a few mins. Like it just turned on, i turned it off and on again and it didn't turn on. Now if I wait 15+ mins and turn it on again it will turn on.
As far as consumption goes in my 2.5 years I've never had issues with it. I wasn't even gaming today, just had a google doc open.