[SOLVED] Psu died after a month, new psu connecters dont match up to mobo

ssjdan

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
I had the gamemax rgb 850 which worked for a month.
Now I bought a EVGA supernova 850 p2, it has a 4+4 pin for the cpu which does not line up with the mobo 8 + 4
same as this pic. Do i need to get a new cable or just return my psu?
s3obwdei8uc21.jpg

Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII wifi
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x

Solution
Hi ssjdan. Your power supply is perfect and does not need to be returned. The Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII wifi has both an 8 pin PCIe socket (required) and also a 4 pin PCIe socket (optional for extreme overclocking of the higher core count processors).

8 pin socket: From CPU1 (PSU side) To 8 pin socket (motherboard side); you may need to push the two 4 pin connectors together, before attempting to plug them into the 8 pin socket on the motherboard.
8 pin socket: From CPU2 (PSU side) To 4 pin socket (motherboard side); you'll use only 1 of 2 of the 4 pin connectors from the cable. Again, this cable is optional and completely unnecessary. I recommend that you consider running your build off only the...
All CPU 12v EPS 4+4 cables have the SAME shape orientation and pinout at the motherboard end of the cable, as all others. It can't be different unless you have the wrong cable or the wrong END of the cable. Some power supplies lack the extra 4 pin beyond the single 4+4 EPS 12v CPU power cable, but all modern power supplies should all have identical 4+4 EPS connectors. The EPS 12v CPU power connector does not vary from model to model. As well, they don't change from motherboard to motherboard either, except on some OEM motherboards with proprietary sockets and connectors, which yours is not.

Please take pictures of the ends of the cable, BOTH ends, and post the images here.

Hi ssjdan. Your power supply is perfect and does not need to be returned. The Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII wifi has both an 8 pin PCIe socket (required) and also a 4 pin PCIe socket (optional for extreme overclocking of the higher core count processors).

8 pin socket: From CPU1 (PSU side) To 8 pin socket (motherboard side); you may need to push the two 4 pin connectors together, before attempting to plug them into the 8 pin socket on the motherboard.
8 pin socket: From CPU2 (PSU side) To 4 pin socket (motherboard side); you'll use only 1 of 2 of the 4 pin connectors from the cable. Again, this cable is optional and completely unnecessary. I recommend that you consider running your build off only the 24 pin and 8 pin cables, and you'll see that it'll boot with absolutely no issue.

FYI: By the way, the EVGA P2 850 is in two of my rigs, so I'm familiar with it.

Last edited:
Solution