Question PSU Died Now HDD and CPU Cooler won't Turn On

wackomojo

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
Hello, as the title stated my friend has a new PC and while gaming it suddenly turned off and the only thing that would turn on was some RGB rights on the motherboard, nothing else when trying to power on. So we bought a new PSU and plugged it all in and now it boots up and it all works, but everything that requires SATA power (IE: HDD, and H100i AIO) won't turn on, the fans that connect to the AIO turn on but no the pump itself or the RGB, then for the hard drive it doesn't show in BIOS or Windows. So my question is anyone have any ideas for what happened? Are the SATA ports on the HDD and H100i blown out, did we get another bad PSU, or is more likely something on the motherboard is broken like the SATA connector, USB power for the H100i etc.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Hello, as the title stated my friend has a new PC and while gaming it suddenly turned off and the only thing that would turn on was some RGB rights on the motherboard, nothing else when trying to power on. So we bought a new PSU and plugged it all in and now it boots up and it all works, but everything that requires SATA power (IE: HDD, and H100i AIO) won't turn on, the fans that connect to the AIO turn on but no the pump itself or the RGB, then for the hard drive it doesn't show in BIOS or Windows. So my question is anyone have any ideas for what happened? Are the SATA ports on the HDD and H100i blown out, did we get another bad PSU, or is more likely something on the motherboard is broken like the SATA connector, USB power for the H100i etc.
what is the new psu? have you tried removing the components and trying them on a different motherboard? or other ports in the motherboard? what exactly happened, was there a pop? a zap? or it just shut off?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

PSU's: Make, model, wattages for old and new?

Do you have the motherboard's User Guide/Manual?

Refer to the motherboard's User Guide and the corresponding User Guides for all installed components.

Doublecheck that all connections are correct, fully in place, and configured as applicable.

wackomojo

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
Okay, so I've tried all parts in another PC it turns out it was what I thought it was. Anything powered by the SATA cable attached to the PSU broke. I had to return those parts and get new ones all around. Thanks for the help and inquiry into the situation.