PSU Died, What About Other Components? (HDD esp.)

Gladmir

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Okay so recently my PSU died and I was wondering how likely it was for my components to be damaged in the proccess. I have an Arctic 480w PSU and died because my GPU was probably sucking alittle too much power from it. Now my PSU did not died in a power surge or anything like that which makes me to believe that no powerful currents and voltages got through but it died from just being bad and old (1 3/4yrs). So what are the chances of my components being damaged (HDD esp.)?

Solution
It is all chance. Sometimes it will fail and ruin nothing. Sometimes it will over-volt right before it fails and ruin it all. I have seen plenty fail and ruin nothing, while I had a PSU fail and ruin the HDD, mobo, CPU, GPU.

bignastyid

Titan
Any reason you are asking this question again?(http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1726011/burnt-smell-computer-minutes-died.html) There is always a chance a PSU will damage components when it fails(no matter how or what caused its failure), the lower the quality of the power supply the higher the chance. I highly doubt anybody can give you the exact odds if thats what you are looking for.

TRENDING THREADS