Question PSU died

Nov 16, 2018
So I wanted to start my PC, which is connected to an extension cord along with my monitors and speakers. I am usually turning off my extension cord power by a switch the extension cord has and when I turn it on so I can start the computer up the PSU made a short circuit right after switching the extension cord on. So the PSU wasn't working anymore, tried to make sure it was dead with that green-black paper clip thing and it was indeed not working anymore.
Guestion is, as my new PSU is shipping right now, how do I prevent this thing from happening again.

Specs:
Old PSU: Corsair RM650x
Motherboard: B150-HD3
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
Processor: i7-6700
2x 8GB Hyperx 2133 RAM
One hdd and one ssd
Also, the new PSU which I hope I got right is a Superflower Leadex II gold 650

Also want to point out that I've been using this rig for over 2 years and haven't got any problems with it whatsoever.
Hope I'm on the right thread

Last edited:

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
are you plugging your devices into a regular power bar, or is it a surge protector? If it is not a surge protector, it should be. Other than that, all I can say is that you should make sure you dust out your whole PC once in a while and make sure to get the PSU, too. Excessive humidity can also cause a PSU to short.

Nov 16, 2018
are you plugging your devices into a regular power bar, or is it a surge protector? If it is not a surge protector, it should be. Other than that, all I can say is that you should make sure you dust out your whole PC once in a while and make sure to get the PSU, too. Excessive humidity can also cause a PSU to short.
I think it's a regular power bar, I live in Eastern Europe so I don't think it's the humidity and I'm sure I haven't poured something into it. I cleaned the dust out a few months ago when I replaced the paste. I guess it may be the power bar then, thinking of it, at times when I tried to turn it on it made a sound like a clap.
So the prevent of this happening is buying an extention cord with surge protection?

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
So the prevent of this happening is buying an extention cord with surge protection?
Yes. That, and take good care of your PC. I always pay special attention to cleaning out the PSU as dust can cause issues for them. And just to be sure: you haven't been turning off your power bar while the PC is on, have you? You'd be surprised at how many people think it's a good idea to turn off their PCs that way.