[SOLVED] PSU discharge sound

michaelcollins918

Commendable
Sep 13, 2017
When I shut down my pc in windows PSU makes slight electric discharge sound, should I be worried?
It's Corsair Rm 650X
Other specs:
1080Ti
8700k @4.8Ghz
Asrock Z370 Professional Gaming i7 MOBO

Solution
Perhaps you have a bad apparatus cable. Check the 3 pronged connector with a flash light and see if you can se any black sot stains in those 3 holes. If you do that is a good indication the cable is bust and needs to be replaced. But even there is no stains it can still be a bad cable. Do you get the arcing sounds when you touch the power cable socket when the computer is on? Also indication of bad power cable.

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Perhaps you have a bad apparatus cable. Check the 3 pronged connector with a flash light and see if you can se any black sot stains in those 3 holes. If you do that is a good indication the cable is bust and needs to be replaced. But even there is no stains it can still be a bad cable. Do you get the arcing sounds when you touch the power cable socket when the computer is on? Also indication of bad power cable.

Solution

michaelcollins918

Commendable
Sep 13, 2017
Everything with the cable seems fine, also all the voltages readings during stress test are fine. It's weird that it's doing it only when shutting down and not powering up the pc. No visible spark inside power supply when the room is dark as well.

michaelcollins918

Commendable
Sep 13, 2017
Turns out it was the cable, it gave up today after some sparks involved when i tried to move it a bit. Seems after exchanging it PC is fine thank to god.

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Turns out it was the cable, it gave up today after some sparks involved when i tried to move it a bit. Seems after exchanging it PC is fine thank to god.

Nice to hear your PC survived that! That is an indication of a good quality power supply with good separation between primary(AC) and secondary (DC) side. I have seen a trend lately with more of this arcing problem which makes me a bit worried. Why are the apparatus cables these days manufactured with less quality control then before? I hope this problem does not grow to big!