[SOLVED] Psu doesn’t have a cpu pwr cable

Mar 21, 2020
Greetings,
I recently bought new pc parts to upgrade my old pc.
New purchases are:
Motherboard: msi tomahawk b450 max
Cpu: ryzen 5 3600x
Ram: aegis g.skill 3600ghz (or 3.5 not sure)
My old parts are:
Psu : corsair vs650
Gpu: msi gtx 760 twin frozr.

Unfortunately i cannot find any suitable cable from my psu to link it to the CPU_PWR1. There is an 8-pin plug which enters but has different pin shapes than the ones on the motherboard. I tried plugging and running but my motherboard displayed red color so I immediately turned it off.
Any help?

Solution
Indeed, there is an 8pin (4+4) connector which fits as i stated in the first post. But 2 things trouble me:
1st) it doesn’t have anything written on it (e.g. cpu pwr, etc)
2nd) the pin shapes are different.

In the motherboard the pins are as follows:
[] ^^[]
^ [][]^
( the square ones are [], where the curved ones are ^)

The 8pin 4+4 has the following pin shapes:
^^^[]
^^[]^
There is a big difference in the pin shapes and, when i tried to risk it and plugged it in, my motherboard displayed red lights.

The 4+4 is the correct connector to use.

The reason the shape of the plastic is different is because the 4-pin portion that needs to plug into a motherboard is shaped that way, and they need to make the +4 you wouldn't use NOT...
Mar 21, 2020
the Corsair VS650 has two 6+2-pin(8-pin) power cables.
the B450 Tomahawk MAX uses the same type(top-left corner):
13-144-267-V80.jpg
Indeed but they have PCI-E written on them so I figured they are for other parts. Unless i’m missing something

Mar 21, 2020
NO. 8 pin Pci-e and 8-pin EPS are not wired the same.
The VS 650 has an 8 pin(4+4) connector for the motherboard.

Indeed, there is an 8pin (4+4) connector which fits as i stated in the first post. But 2 things trouble me:

[] ^^[]
^ [][]^

^^^[]
^^[]^
There is a big difference in the pin shapes and, when i tried to risk it and plugged it in, my motherboard displayed red lights.

[] ^^[]
^ [][]^

^^^[]
^^[]^

The 4+4 is the correct connector to use.

The reason the shape of the plastic is different is because the 4-pin portion that needs to plug into a motherboard is shaped that way, and they need to make the +4 you wouldn't use NOT plug into a 4-pin.

But if you put the two halves together, they will fit in the 8-pin connection on your motherboard.

Reactions: Begad
Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It takes a lot of chutzpah to downvote JonnyGuru in a PSU discussion.

Sorry John Bonham's ghost, but that first post in the thread was legitimately dangerous, to the extent that I had to delete it. You literally told someone to plug PCIE 6+2 cables into an 8-pin CPU socket; if the OP hadn't stopped to question if that was wise, they could have lost hundreds of dollars in equipment.

Reactions: Begad