Question PSU doesn’t turn on after power loss even by shortening MB 2 pins

FlashPoint1985

Reputable
Apr 27, 2017
Hi there
I have an Asus PRIME H310M-C R2.0 motherboard & a seasonic 2500W power supply, using to mine 2 GPUs & also turning on several HDDs for farming, anyway everything was ok, specially the ability that PC turns on automatically after a power loss as in my country power loss happens seldom, but today I wanted to replace a new motherboard, which was actually an older model and at the end I switched back to same Asus H310M, but when I wanted to replace the MB I didn’t shut down PC properly in windows and just pulled off PSU cables including 24 pin MB & 4 pin CPU cables right while the PC was on! Well I did that before specially with GPUs and there were no problem after restarting, but this time I noticed system shut down but didn’t turn on when I manually used a screwdriver to shorten the motherboard 2 pin power switch, I thought maybe I damaged MB, tried the older MB but same issue, then tried another much weaker 380W PSU and it worked.

But I simply couldn’t accept I have destroyed the costly 2500W Seasonic PSU so I played a lot with it and now I know if I switch off the PSU button or just unplug it, and replug back it won’t turn on automatically as it should and I have to touch the MB 2 pin switch buttons for about 20 seconds and it turns on in most of the times!
It turns on and work fine without shutting down so I assume no damage has happened, also I noticed if I shut down it properly using windows 10 shut down menu, It will turn on immediately as I shorten the 2pin, but it won’t if I switch it off or anything else to simulate a power loss.

There are many times I am not here to do this and I really need the feature that turns it on after a power failure, so please any help and advice is appreciated to know what is really happened? Is something in PSU has damaged? I really can’t afford to buy another PSU like this.
Thanks guys

Last edited:
There are many times I am not here to do this and I really need the feature that turns it on after a power failure, so please any help and advice is appreciated to know what is really happened? Is something in PSU has damaged? I really can’t afford to buy another PSU like this.

You can set the "AC Power loss" in the Bios to "Power on" or "Last state" so your computer should boot automatically when the electricity comes back after a power failure.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"I really need the feature that turns it on after a power failure"

Are you referring to a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) that provides interim power to connected devices if external power is lost?

FYI:

https://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA158943/

UPS's are intended to provide power (and perhaps some surge protection) for a limited amount of time when power is lost.

The idea being that that time is used to allow the end user time to gracefully/properly and safely shut down the system.

That said, there should be no reason to be shorting the 2pin. If the computer's power button is correctly connected and the switch is functional then all that should be necessary is to press the computer's power switch to turn on the system again.

Check all power connections and cables - especially those to the case switches and LEDs.

Did you you mix and match PSU cables between the PSUs?

FlashPoint1985

Reputable
Apr 27, 2017
You can set the "AC Power loss" in the Bios to "Power on" or "Last state" so your computer should boot automatically when the electricity comes back after a power failure.
Dude it’s already on “power on” as I didn’t change, but as I said it just doesn’t turn on automatically .

Last edited:

FlashPoint1985

Reputable
Apr 27, 2017
This:

"I really need the feature that turns it on after a power failure"

Are you referring to a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) that provides interim power to connected devices if external power is lost?

FYI:

https://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA158943/

UPS's are intended to provide power (and perhaps some surge protection) for a limited amount of time when power is lost.

The idea being that that time is used to allow the end user time to gracefully/properly and safely shut down the system.

That said, there should be no reason to be shorting the 2pin. If the computer's power button is correctly connected and the switch is functional then all that should be necessary is to press the computer's power switch to turn on the system again.

Check all power connections and cables - especially those to the case switches and LEDs.

Did you you mix and match PSU cables between the PSUs?
No I’m just simply talking about the feature that turns on PC again when power is back, it’s already set in bios as I did at day 1 but it doesn’t happen.

I don’t use a PC case bro, I have my all components on a wooden frame all in open for better access and better ventilation so shortening the MB 2 pins to restart or power on is a very good option here, my problem is that it doesn’t turn on on itself or even by touching that 2 pin with anything metal but it was working before .

this motherboard has no any LED , the PSU too.

no, but I’m supplying some of my HDDs by this PSU but those HDDs are connected with sata data cable to another motherboard just beside it, and there were no problem with that before.

yeah I know I should properly shut it down but I didn’t want because the other HDDs were plotting at the same time and were supplying with this PSU.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hi there
I have an Asus PRIME H310M-C R2.0 motherboard & a seasonic 2500W power supply, using to mine 2 GPUs & also turning on several HDDs for farming, anyway everything was ok, specially the ability that PC turns on automatically after a power loss as in my country power loss happens seldom, but today I wanted to replace a new motherboard, which was actually an older model and at the end I switched back to same Asus H310M, but when I wanted to replace the MB I didn’t shut down PC properly in windows and just pulled off PSU cables including 24 pin MB & 4 pin CPU cables right while the PC was on! Well I did that before specially with GPUs and there were no problem after restarting, but this time I noticed system shut down but didn’t turn on when I manually used a screwdriver to shorten the motherboard 2 pin power switch, I thought maybe I damaged MB, tried the older MB but same issue, then tried another much weaker 380W PSU and it worked.

But I simply couldn’t accept I have destroyed the costly 2500W Seasonic PSU so I played a lot with it and now I know if I switch off the PSU button or just unplug it, and replug back it won’t turn on automatically as it should and I have to touch the MB 2 pin switch buttons for about 20 seconds and it turns on in most of the times!
It turns on and work fine without shutting down so I assume no damage has happened, also I noticed if I shut down it properly using windows 10 shut down menu, It will turn on immediately as I shorten the 2pin, but it won’t if I switch it off or anything else to simulate a power loss.

Thanks guys
Please share a link of your PSU. It would useful to know what PSU you are using.

D

Deleted member 217926

Thank you for reporting me to me. Any particular reason you'd lie about having a 2500w Seasonic that doesn't and hasn't ever existed?

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
a seasonic 2500W power supply
3xgbov.png

Pretty impressive since the highest wattage power supply Seasonic makes is 1300 watts.....
And just for 2 graphics cards, those RTX 6090s sure draw tons of power ^^

Reactions: jonnyguru

DSzymborski

Titan
3xgbov.png

And just for 2 graphics cards, those RTX 6090s sure draw tons of power ^^

Coupled with the Ryzen 11 7990X, there are a lot of power spikes. OP is lucky to have to have gotten these considering the effects of COVID-23.

Sorry, OP, but when time used to answer the request for accurate information as to technical specs is instead used to flip out at people for wanting accurate information, it's hard to take the question seriously. Nobody can diagnose imaginary parts.

Ralston18

Titan
Did I understand correctly that there are two motherboards?

"I’m supplying some of my HDDs by this PSU but those HDDs are connected with sata data cable to another motherboard just beside it "

Overall I am not sure about the connectivity involved but not using a case or having two motherboards may make the BIOS restart configuration moot.

Or something else about your case-less build.

Yes: get help you need to provide more information.

And at this point, I suggestion some photographs and a schematic showing how you have connected the drives, the motherboard(s), and the PSU. Plus other peripherals as applicable.