PSU doesn't start then starts again after 1 night of being unplugged.

kewlrunnings

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
Hey,

To explain the title a little bit: my PC did not want to start yesterday at all. After reading multiple threads I thought my PSU might be dead...to confirm that assumption I did the paperclip test and the fan didn't even spin once.

Obviously I ordered a new PSU at that point.

But the next morning I was curious if the PSU really was dead and plugged it in again to test it...and voilà the PC started normally again.
The reason I did test it another time was that I got minor start/power problems for about 3-4 weeks now...but normally the PC would start after I unplugged all USB devices and/or waited for 10 minutes max.

Now I am really curious:

1. Is my PSU literally on the verge of dying or is it just a problem with the power consumption of my system (i5 2500k oc'ed to 4.3, r9 390, etc...)? And am I really in need of another PSU?

2. How can it be possible that a PSU doesn't show a single spark of life one day and a day later it runs "normally"?

The PSU in question is a XFX XTR 650.

Thx in advance!

Solution

Seems he's going to test that anyway. The question seems curiosity regarding why this did happen.Maybe cancel the order,but that's up to kewlrunnings.
Going for RMA is a good thing of course.If the new psu works fine you always have a spare or maybe one to sell.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

Seems he's going to test that anyway. The question seems curiosity regarding why this did happen.Maybe cancel the order,but that's up to kewlrunnings.
Going for RMA is a good thing of course.If the new psu works fine you always have a spare or maybe one to sell.

Solution

kewlrunnings

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
Hey. Thanks for the answers.

Yes it's still under warranty and I already ordered another PSU, which will arrive today so I will be able to test my system a bit more.

After reading a bit more about my problem another possible reason could be an empty cmos-battery so I will change that aswell and check whether that's the underlying problem.

I will share my findings later.

kewlrunnings

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017

Hey again,

fyi I am currently still using my old PSU since I want to reproduce the starting problem but up until now nothing bad happened. I am still waiting for it to happen again so that I can test the new PSU at the same conditions.

kewlrunnings

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
Update 3 Months alter. But I guess better later than never.

I switched to the new PSU once and for all and got 0 problems anylonger. Testing the old cpu in an older system of my brother showed that it probably is dying since it produced the exact same boot up errors as with my system.

Thx for your answers guys and have a nice year 2018!

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

Thanks for letting us know.:)

You're welcome and you too! :D