[SOLVED] PSU doesnt turn my pc on

Feb 26, 2021
So I replaced my old pc with a newer one as there was a hard drive problem , swapped the hard drives the new pc works just fine, however it only has 8GB DDR4 Ram. So I bought 8GB of DDR4 RAM , pc didnt boot up so I thought to just get 2 of the same branded RAM , however that also didnt work. Even just sticking in one stick of the newer RAM and taking out my old RAM. The monitor wouldnt even show anything ( No signal ) so I thought that the problem must be the PSU. Its a mere 240 W psu so I thought to replace my psu with the psu in my old computer which was a CX500 Corsair - basically much better. After installing the PSU the lights at the front of the casing glow however the monitor doesnt turn on and the power button doesnt even light up. I thought I installed it incorrectly however after taking out all 5 cables needed and quickly just replacing them with the 5 cables from my old PSU and turning it on , pc works just fine. So then I thought one of the cables on my newer PSU must not be working. I start with the motherboard. With my OLD psu just plugging in the 4 pin CPU cable and the 24 pin motherboard cable has the monitor turn on and display the "Plug in Graphics card cable etc." With my new PSU plugging in the two cables displays nothing monitor doesnt turn on. So the problem lies within the CPU cable or the 24 pin cable , My newer PSU has a 20 + 4 cable so I tried both with 20 and + 4 . What should I do?? How do I identify what is causing the issue and is it possible to replace cables connected to a power supply i.e take a cable from one psu and swap it with another if that makes sense?

Solution
"My old PSU is a 240 W psu , it works with my pc , runs fine however cant support my new RAM "

Maybe it's just the RAM that's the problem and the old PSU is fine.
Feb 26, 2021
First of all...you can't just swap PSU cables between PSU models because they may not be the same.
So you can't assume that.
I would stick with the CX500 and scrap the old PSU.
Right okay, So then how do I identify why the CX500 doesn't work with my pc , When everything is plugged in it the pc turns on like makes noise etc. However the monitor doesnt turn on - no signal the power button doesnt glow up.

You say....

" I thought to replace my psu with the psu in my old computer which was a CX500 Corsair - basically much better. After installing the PSU the lights at the front of the casing glow however the monitor doesnt turn on and the power button doesnt even light up. I thought I installed it incorrectly however after taking out all 5 cables needed and quickly just replacing them with the 5 cables from my old PSU and turning it on , pc works just fine. "

So you installed the CX500.

The monitor didn't turn on and power button didn't light.

Then you replaced the cables with the cables from the old PSU (which are the cables from the CX500 which is the old PSU) and it works fine.

So you are using the CX500 with the CX500 cables and it works fine.

That's what I'm reading.

then you say

"So then how do I identify why the CX500 doesn't work with my pc "

What am I missing?

Reactions: Krotow
Feb 26, 2021
You say....

" I thought to replace my psu with the psu in my old computer which was a CX500 Corsair - basically much better. After installing the PSU the lights at the front of the casing glow however the monitor doesnt turn on and the power button doesnt even light up. I thought I installed it incorrectly however after taking out all 5 cables needed and quickly just replacing them with the 5 cables from my old PSU and turning it on , pc works just fine. "

So you installed the CX500.

The monitor didn't turn on and power button didn't light.

Then you replaced the cables with the cables from the old PSU (which are the cables from the CX500 which is the old PSU) and it works fine.

So you are using the CX500 with the CX500 cables and it works fine.

That's what I'm reading.

then you say

"So then how do I identify why the CX500 doesn't work with my pc "

What am I missing?
When I say replace the cables I mean for instance , I took out the 24 pin connector from the CX500 , plugged in my old cable from my old PSU as in I checked to see if my old PSU still could cause my pc to turn on to check that any of the hardware wasn't damaged. To just identify that it was indeed a PSU issue. When all my CX500 cables are plugged in it doesnt boot up etc.

Feb 26, 2021
I'm still a bit confused....but you can't swap cables without knowing about them.
If the PC doesn't work with either PSU while USING THE PROPER CABLES and the new memory...I think it's memory incompatibility.
My old PSU is a 240 W psu , it works with my pc , runs fine however cant support my new RAM
My new PSU is 500W psu , pc doesnt turn on.
might just buy a new psu , its just a shame since I already have a decent one.
I have an i5-7440 I should hope that the corsair CX500 would have been compatiable.