PSU Dying? 12v rail problem

phpscriptcoder

Distinguished
May 18, 2008
For the past few days my computer has been freezing randomly under moderate load, sometimes for up to 30 seconds! The PC speaker has beeped a few times, and the CD drive seems especially unresponsive.

My BIOS doesn't list the -12v voltage, but HWMonitor shows it as around 7.5-7.6V. Could this be the problem?

2i0z02a.jpg

When your speaker beeps, pay attention to the number and duration of the beeps, they actually represent an error code.

Your -12V line showing up wrong in HW monitor is not the source of your issue, even if it was that low, there is almost nothing that uses it, its current rating is super low. Since BIOS doesnt list it your motherboard may not be recording it at all so HW monitor might be reading a number off of a sensor that doesnt exist.

phpscriptcoder

Distinguished
May 18, 2008

It wasn't really a beep, just a long (annoying) tone. It seemed to be a different length the 2 or 3 times I've heard it.

I also noticed a lot of this in the event logs:
10n6zwn.jpg

shovenose

Distinguished
software voltage measurements are woefully inaccurate at the best of times. bios readings are more reliable. however, using a multimeter and plugging into the psu and doing a real test is the best thing to do.
if you had 7v on the +12v rail, your pc wouldnt turn on. but on the -12v rail, idk what would happen...