[SOLVED] PSU Dying? Audio Stutter, Video Freeze then PC Restart [Help]

Oct 8, 2020
Over the last 2 weeks, typically when dual tasking either watching a video on one monitor and gaming on the other, my audio will start to crackle before eventually the screens will freeze and after perhaps 10 seconds or sometimes right away unexpectedly the PC will turn off and restart on its own. Additionally, sometimes the video I am watching will artifact and go green - GSOD perhaps? The audio made me curious to it being MOBO failure perhaps.

I've read a few things online but im under the assumption that this is a potential sign of PSU failure when under high load.

Running task manager when noticing the sound symptom, I notice the very high power usage even on chrome.

The only 3 things I can consider it to be is MOBO, GPU or PSU. But CPU and GPU temps are fine and nothing out of the ordinary. My only suspicion is due the PSU due to very high power consumption.

One other suspicion is that due to my case and hardware, when building the rig im sure the cables from the PSU were tightly packed in and bent around a metal frame a little which im paranoid could have caused it to start to fail.

Furthermore, I am a power user, using my PC probably 14 hours a day as I do all my work, gaming and everything else on it - so perhaps in the 2 years since building it ive just rinsed the PSU and reduced its expected lifespan.

Here is my PC build:

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Armour OC 8gb

CPU: Intel i7 8700

MOBO: ROG STRIX Z370-i Gaming

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 X 8GB 3200mhz

SSD: Samsung 860 Evo

HDD: Seagate 1TB

PSU: Silverstone SX600-G

Case: Phantek Evolv Shift

Solution
If you do a purely cpu stress test does it give problems? Also do seperately a gpu stress test and see if this one gives problems.
Oct 8, 2020
What you describe sounds more like a gpu problem to me. Can you test the gpu in another system? Still problems if you take it out and use the igp?
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I dont have another system to test it in, and ive not tried taking it out and testing the IGP due to the fact my system build - due to the case, is an absolute nightmare to take apart as Id have to do a full system dis-assembly which would take maybe 2-3 hours and then put back together afterwards.

Last edited: