[SOLVED] PSU dying?

Aug 16, 2020
Hi
I have GTX 1080TI and a Corsair HX1200i PSU. What has been happening alot after i bought this pc from an other guy is that when i play ARK Evolved my computer just shuts down completely when im using dinos with huge AOE effects... i think those moments is when the GPU is demanding more power from the PSU but the PSU fails and it all just shuts down... SO.....then i discovered that the GPU has 16 pin .... But it was attached to a pci-e cable that went from 8 pins into 16 pins....
What i then did was to connect 2 different 8 pins cables to the GPU and its working like a charm. My question is that what is the point having those split cables ( from 8 to 16 pins) when the PSU cant put out enough juice? Is my findings normal or SHOULD one 8 pin outlet from the PSU be able to provide enough power to my 16 pin GPU?

thxs in advance

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend.

A HX1200i has probably 600W more than your system would ever need, but if your GPU has 16 pins, it requires all of them to be populated. The PSU can't distribute all the power down one PCIe cable.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend.

A HX1200i has probably 600W more than your system would ever need, but if your GPU has 16 pins, it requires all of them to be populated. The PSU can't distribute all the power down one PCIe cable.

Solution
Aug 16, 2020
Thank you for clarifying. It should be mentioned that i have 2x GTX 1080TI , but i have not enabled or done SLI cus of this shutting down issue and it was no point mentioning it either since i had the issue with just 1 card.... I also have 32gb RAM running at 3200Mhz and a default (not overclocked yet lol) CPU type Intel 6850K .
Is the PSU still overkill or is it ok?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thank you for clarifying. It should be mentioned that i have 2x GTX 1080TI , but i have not enabled or done SLI cus of this shutting down issue and it was no point mentioning it either since i had the issue with just 1 card.... I also have 32gb RAM running at 3200Mhz and a default (not overclocked yet lol) CPU type Intel 6850K .
Is the PSU still overkill or is it ok?
Well not so much if it's SLI. And either way having more power than you need doesn't harm anything, and the HX is an excellent PSU so no problem :)