PSU electric noise

Abd121

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
I got a corsair vs450 PSU to pair with a gigabyte GTX 950, (don't judge me, my budget is extremely limited and no amazon where I live)

after installing everything, they all seems to work perfectly, but the power supply is making very quiet electric sounds, (a YouTube example below), I'm not sure what they are but is there any danger or such a sound is normal because the capacitors are near the air exhaust?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dvyZWz9iYkQ
(same but mine is a little less noisy)

This happens at all times and regardless of the load on the PC.

Solution
yeah that's a huge danger. Get that thing replaced ASAP...

I think that is the garbage version of the vs(OEM CWT) and not the good one(OEM Enhance)

Legion93

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Power Supply Units (PSUs) should not sound like this. If it does, it needs to be sent back for an exchange/repair.

If you are hearing a buzz or electrical type sound, then it’s likely due to a capacitor somewhere in your system that is vibrating at a frequency which is clashing with the rest of the components in the system. Usually this capacitor is on the PSU.

CPU power saving features in the BIOS can cause the PSU to emit the noise. Try disabling these features to see if there is any improvement. ERP, C1E and EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology) are few examples of power saving settings, but your motherboard manufacturer should be able to tell you specifically which features your board supports.

Some graphics card drivers can contribute to the sound as well. If the problems seem to get worse when loading a 3D application, try booting your system up into safe mode to see if you can still hear the sound. If the sound goes away, then your problem may be software related. We have found that enabling “vsync” in your graphics drivers options can eliminate the sound.

If the previous steps have not eliminated the sound, then you may want to test the PSU in a different system just to be sure that the sound follows the PSU. If it looks like there is a good chance that the PSU could be causing the problem, then it needs replacing.

If a replacement PSU gives you identical issues, then chances are that there is something else causing the sound. Keep in mind that the sound can come from the PSU, while the PSU may not actual be the cause of the problem. So it’s important to try to rule out the motherboard and graphics card if possible.

Also keep in mind that generally PSUs are quiet, but are not totally silent. If you only hear the PSU when you have the side panel of your case removed, there is probably not a problem at all.

Just wanted to add, apparently this is a common issue amongst some specific Corsair PSUs.

Abd121

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

LOL I picked this post instead of the one down (all credits to that guy)

The PSU itself is fine, I knew that once I booted into the BIOS and there were no sounds, I disabled the power saving and now the sound is gone

The only downside is that the CPU is locked at boost speeds and therefore always at 40~C°

I'll try to solve that later because not I need some bed time