[SOLVED] PSU electrical noise when idle

May 31, 2021
I recently bought an XPG CORE REACTOR 650W and I noticed something yesterday and that is that when the pc is idle, it starts making electrical noises barely audible only if you place your ear a few centimeters away from the grill.i have already tested with cpu and gpu stress test simultaneously and no sound is produced, even when i am just surfing i can't hear anything.
i found this video and the sound is very similar and just as arithmic (only in my case i think it is a little less noisy).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fxqczEOKz3TubOEm--_l69Nw1ip-tooQ/view

I need to know if it is something normal or if it can be dangerous.

Solution
you may be referring to coil whine which is quite common in electronic components, coil whine is not harmful to the computer, not even to the component that causes it, so it will not reduce its life span, break it, or reduce the performance of anything. It has no practical effect except for the fact that it is an annoying sound. So the options you have are to pay no undue attention to it, use closed headsets, or soundproof the place where your PSU is located. I am not sure if the manufacturers consider coil whine a sufficient reason to request a replacement unit, check with your manufacturer and if the sound becomes too annoying maybe you can request a replacement, I don't know...
Dec 20, 2021
you may be referring to coil whine which is quite common in electronic components, coil whine is not harmful to the computer, not even to the component that causes it, so it will not reduce its life span, break it, or reduce the performance of anything. It has no practical effect except for the fact that it is an annoying sound. So the options you have are to pay no undue attention to it, use closed headsets, or soundproof the place where your PSU is located. I am not sure if the manufacturers consider coil whine a sufficient reason to request a replacement unit, check with your manufacturer and if the sound becomes too annoying maybe you can request a replacement, I don't know...

Reactions: Ludens997
Solution

crazyal

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Probably just the power supply going into discontinuous conduction mode when lightly loaded, this produces more inductor noise than under load as the inductors core reset every cycle. The PSU ODM could of prevented this by better inductor selection or adding a dab of silastic to damped the magnetostriction noise.

Reactions: Ludens997