Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2021
I was wondering if I could use a PICO PSU for my Motherboard's miscellanious(24pin connector) components(fans,HDD,north bridge, ram etc) but for my GPU and CPU an external PSU!?
Is the pico PSU going to interfere with my plan to connect the CPU and GPU from a different PSU (external)!! My external PSU is an HP1200 watt server PSU(which does not have the 24pin connector required to power the motherboard but only has 12v+ground 6pin connectors) and the pico PSU is also going to take its 12v input from this (1200watt server PSU) and convert it to 24pin(3.3v,5v) respectively!!
I'm quite good when it comes to soldering and wouldn't mind doing some tinkering to get things to work properly ;).
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Ps: the reason I chose such PSU is future proofing and it fits in a 1U case(Which is what I'm going to be using it in)

Solution
If your server PSU is providing 12v Stable output... Sure you can use it.. but let me tell you.. I did the same project.. but I just removed PSUs casing (and fan. Too) to fit it in my Case.... And that worked nicely.. (I used Coolermaster MWE 450v2 Bronze..

Well actually Pico PSUs use 18-24 volt input (if am not wrong)... Uses DC-DC synchronous Buck converters.. 5v and 3.3v gonna work surely.. IDK about 12v output.. if Pico PSU gonna output or even gonna generate power good Signal...

If you are into DIY electronics.. I would say...use Pico PSU (If and only if server PSU output stable 12v).. use three P-Channel MOSFETs in parallel with gates connected via 10ohms gate resistors... And also 5.6Kilo Ohms Pull up gate resistor.. use 5v...
If your server PSU is providing 12v Stable output... Sure you can use it.. but let me tell you.. I did the same project.. but I just removed PSUs casing (and fan. Too) to fit it in my Case.... And that worked nicely.. (I used Coolermaster MWE 450v2 Bronze..

Well actually Pico PSUs use 18-24 volt input (if am not wrong)... Uses DC-DC synchronous Buck converters.. 5v and 3.3v gonna work surely.. IDK about 12v output.. if Pico PSU gonna output or even gonna generate power good Signal...

If you are into DIY electronics.. I would say...use Pico PSU (If and only if server PSU output stable 12v).. use three P-Channel MOSFETs in parallel with gates connected via 10ohms gate resistors... And also 5.6Kilo Ohms Pull up gate resistor.. use 5v (from Pico PSU to power up a small N-Channel.mosfet to turn on those main P-mosfets.. and use output of those MOSFET (p- channel ones) to power up 12v ATX, And PCIe output.. (and I will say use 4x 1000uf FP-CaP, Apaq, Nichicon, aluminium polymer caps in output... Will work just fine...

Solution
Dec 11, 2021
Which exact MiniBox Pico PSU do you want to use?
What motherboard? A H510 motherboard use a lot less power than a X570 and with a GPU drawing 75w from the PCI-e slot I doubt a Pico can handle it.
I would like to use this unit which has the input of 12v https://www.ebay.com/itm/24Pin-Pico...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
This is about 160watts but it doesn't matter anyway since the only things it's going to power are fans, HDDs and other bits and bobs.
I can confirm that it will work.

Dec 11, 2021

If you are into DIY electronics.. I would say...use Pico PSU (If and only if server PSU output stable 12v).. use three P-Channel MOSFETs in parallel with gates connected via 10ohms gate resistors... And also 5.6Kilo Ohms Pull up gate resistor.. use 5v (from Pico PSU to power up a small N-Channel.mosfet to turn on those main P-mosfets.. and use output of those MOSFET (p- channel ones) to power up 12v ATX, And PCIe output.. (and I will say use 4x 1000uf FP-CaP, Apaq, Nichicon, aluminium polymer caps in output... Will work just fine...
As you probably saw on my top thread I mentioned that "The pico psu is only going to provide power to MB HDDs fans etc, the HP 1200watt unit will do the heavy lifting by powering the gpu and cpu!
My original question was will I brick my system If I power the cpu externally "since it has seperate 12v+ground 4 pin" I looked up this matter in some other forums and can confirm that it actually is a very reliable way!
Also my "server" is not actually meant to be a server it's more of a "Monster Laptop" on steroids. I got the idea from this dude https://youtube/binari.com
It has a 24" screen😅 with a Ryzen threadripper 32x and an rtx 3090 fe water cooled and overclocked. But I'm having to use another desktop atx to power it since the pico thing is confusing also quite frightening.
Phew if you made it this far then you got my respect!!

Dec 11, 2021
If you want to power the 24 pin with a Pico you power the motherboard includes everything atached to, except the CPU. If there's a GPU in the PCI-e slot the Pico also have to power 75w to the PCI-e slot. And don't forget about the chipset, TRX40 uses a lot of power.
So what you are saying is that even if the GPU is powered externally the PCIe slot is still going to draw 75watts?
Also about the chipset that you mentioned, does it really draw that much power like do you have any rough estimates?
Here is a quick example of the PSU to PICO layout
US $22.00 | PICO-PSU 160Watt 24Pin ATX Power Module With PCI-E 6Pin Connector.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_ACyJu6
Now there is a 250watt pico variant which I could try.
ANYWAY SORRY FOR TAKING YOUr TIME ;)

Dec 11, 2021
If you want to power the 24 pin with a Pico you power the motherboard includes everything atached to, except the CPU. If there's a GPU in the PCI-e slot the Pico also have to power 75w to the PCI-e slot. And don't forget about the chipset, TRX40 uses a lot of power.
Welp after vigorous research and advice from different forums I have come to the conclusion and it looks like Picos and Thread Rippers don't quite go together :(.
Though all isn't lost I have higher hopes for the EPYC lineup which I have been told has lower power draw thus could be more sustainable.
Again gentlemen thank you for your time and effort!

Status
Not open for further replies.