Question PSU failed; replaced it and then MB but still nothing happens

txsarge17

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
I had a 2 year old PSU spark and shut down my pc. I tried a known good PSU, but original MB wouldn't turn on (no visible damage). I ordered a new MB, and still won't turn on. The PSU I'm now using is an older one, but same specs as the one that failed, and it works fine in my older PC. I've ordered a new CPU, thinking maybe it fried that as well, but thought I'd ask here if maybe I'm missing something. All connections are correct, but nothing happens when I attempt to turn the pc on. I've tested the GPU in the other system and it's fine, so only CPU and RAM left. I tested without the RAM installed, just to see if I could get a light or fan or anything, and nothing.

txsarge17

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu

EDITED to correct a couple models I had wrong.

MSI Pro B550-VC (new MB)
MSI 470X Gaming Plus (old MB)
Seasonic Foxus GX 550w gold PSU (one that sparked)
Corsair 550w bronze PSU (working one, but older)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
16G Ram, but can't remember specs
RX 5600 XT GPU (works in older pc still)
WD M.2 500G + WD 500G SSD

I wish I knew the exact circumstances around the failure, but my 14 yr old was using the PC when this happened. All he could say was "it sparked and shut off".

Last edited:

txsarge17

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
If that isn't the case, would a bad CPU cause nothing to turn on? I can get another MB and use the correct cable, but don't know if I should cancel the order for the new CPU to order another MB instead or just bite the bullet and get new CPU and MB?

txsarge17

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
I went ahead and ordered another MB and PSU just to make sure it's all good. CPU was already on its way, and an upgrade, so will swap it all out just to be sure I'm back up and running.

Thanks for the assistance.

txsarge17

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
Never ever reuse cables between PSUs! You may have caused damage to motherboard, CPU, RAM and GPU.
Just wanted to let you know that using the correct cable for the good PSU caused the pc to boot. I didn't realize that even though the cables fit, that different brands/models were pinned different at the PSU end. I got very luck that nothing was damaged. Lesson learned. My Seasonic is still under warranty so it's going back for repair. Thank you for your help.

Reactions: drivinfast247
Just wanted to let you know that using the correct cable for the good PSU caused the pc to boot. I didn't realize that even though the cables fit, that different brands/models were pinned different at the PSU end. I got very luck that nothing was damaged. Lesson learned. My Seasonic is still under warranty so it's going back for repair. Thank you for your help.
That's awesome! Glad to hear that.