PSU Failing OCCT Test

JJ1217

Honorable
I have the worst luck with Power Supplies. my initial OCZ ZX one fizzed in two days, I got one from Seasonic, which was loud and had a broken fan bearing, and now my Corsair GS800 seems to struggle recently. Its around one and a half months old. Recently in the last week, its been randomly shutting down and going crap on me. I tried OCCT's PSU test, and it crashed in less than a second. The error according to Event Viewer are ALL Kernel Power. CPU test passes, GPU test sort of passes (Since I have two they take a bit of load causing the PSU to crumple), and the PSU test crashes immediately. Any PSU professional here reckon my power supply is done and dusted?

Solution
Oops... Should have spotted that.

800w should be plenty for your rig, so I'm not sure what's going on.

The thing is that three PSUs failing in a row (although if the seasonic one is a bearing fault I understand it's not your fault) is still pretty astronomical odds.

If you pull one of the 670s does it work? Also, does it only fail under load?
That's very bad luck, to have three fairly reputable PSUs fail in a row. Ridiculous odds, which leads me to guess that you're doing something wrong.

A kernel power error, from a quick google, occurs when the computer is shutdown/restarted without warning, ie pulling the plug or your PSU going into overcurrent protection.

What are the rest of your specs?

JJ1217

Honorable
Well you can't blame me for the ZX one, that never actually worked, it just took two days before it actually did something, and the Seasonic one was just plain bad luck. The GS800 worked for awhile very well.

My rig is in my description

Oops... Should have spotted that.

800w should be plenty for your rig, so I'm not sure what's going on.

The thing is that three PSUs failing in a row (although if the seasonic one is a bearing fault I understand it's not your fault) is still pretty astronomical odds.

If you pull one of the 670s does it work? Also, does it only fail under load?

Solution

JJ1217

Honorable
Only under load. I'll try pull out my 670 and have a look at it how its going. Its been slowly degrading by the looks of it, two days ago I could play a game for an hour or two before shutoff, now it just crashes immediately.

I'd test the GFX cards independently and see if you can discern any loading differences between them. Other than that, I don't think much of OCZ PSUs .... Seasonic makes some great PSU's, the X series for example, M series ain't bad either.... Corsair HX is great, AX almost as good, TX is good if ya don't need the highest OC's ..... don't have much experience with new GS stuff.

OCCT warns that it will cause issues in all but the very best PSU's, and will even toast the med / low quality ones.

JJ1217

Honorable
Well, both GPU's work perfectly independently. both have 100% utilisation, and it takes such little power by itself that the fan doesn't even spin on the PSU (So less than 25%, since I don't OC my gear)

I've tried most drivers (306.97, 310.90, 314.07,314.22,320.00), and it still doesn't like it. Weird considering for the first two weeks my setup worked perfectly.

JJ1217

Honorable
Update: Issue fixed. I just found out in a forum with a guy with an Asrock board that pressing clear CMOS with power switch on (Even if the system is off), is bad for it. So I unplugged it and pressed clear cmos again. Rig is working like a charm. Shutting down perfectly now, bios is working, everything is good. I remember I accidentally hit the clear cmos button when I was installing a rear fan about two and a half weeks ago.

Thanks Guys!