Question PSU failing ?

Cameron_turck

Prominent
May 10, 2020
Recently my P.C. would randomly just boot down and then power up, it did it once about 2 weeks back and then again yesterday and then twice today. In my area there’s been speculation about the manucipality decreasing power to houses, so I then connected a UPS to my pc to see if that was the problem, as soon as I did this my graphics card started giving me problems, it would display on my monitor and then flicker black and then return to normal until about 5 minutes would elapse and would go completely black. I then restarted my pc and after logging in I got a message saying that my graphics card is not supported.

I have a core i5-4690
Gtx 1060 6gb
Gigabyte ga-z97x-sli
i have a stock Inwin power man 830W PSU.

You're pc would use, maybe 350w under full load, not very power hungry. I'm more concerned with that junk psu. It could be that if your area has poor voltage regulation, and the voltage fluctuates heavily, that that psu may not have been rated to run at those lower voltages, at worst, there may have been some sort of protection feature missing and that damage may have already been done.

Cameron_turck

Prominent
May 10, 2020
You're pc would use, maybe 350w under full load, not very power hungry. I'm more concerned with that junk psu. It could be that if your area has poor voltage regulation, and the voltage fluctuates heavily, that that psu may not have been rated to run at those lower voltages, at worst, there may have been some sort of protection feature missing and that damage may have already been done.
I’ve done a full uninstall of the graphics card driver using DDU and reinstalled the latest driver , haven’t had enough time to leave to see if the black screen problem comes back, will have to leave my pc and test that tomorrow. I’m also considering sending it in for diagnosis at a local P.C. shop near me because I don’t have the hardware to run the tests myself (fault motherboard, graphics card)... I’m also speculating it could be my Harddrive as it has been making this low electric clicking sound for about 2 months now , but considering how long it’s been since I wouldn’t think that. Most likely going to see what the P.C. store says and hopefully it’s just a PSU replacement.

Cameron_turck

Prominent
May 10, 2020
Added note , the graphics problem displaying to my monitor only accrued after I plugged it into the UPS. So many unknown variables and problems just leads me to wanting to buy a completely new system. But to save costs I’ll try my absolute best to save this systems and it’s components.