[SOLVED] PSU failure causing GPU to die (or at least, partly die)

eternalabys

Reputable
Nov 8, 2018
Pretty self explanatory title,
My cousin had a rig that went poof a few months ago (mind you, it didn't go bang, just stopped working as far as I know), and hadn't really touched since considering he doesn't know jack squat about PC maintenance.
So I offered to take it off his hands because it had some neat parts that could become cool projects I could make in the future. (If they worked that is. :') )
That rig had a GTX 760 (a worthy upgrade compared to my Vega 8 OC iGPU), but when I plopped it in to my rig:

( CPU: Ryzen 3 3200G, Mobo: AsRock B450M Pro4, PSU: Corsair TX550M. )

and plugged all of the wires in, it just spun the fans to 100% and didn't display an output, it continued to boot with the iGPU running though, and in Windows, Device Manager couldn't even see that it was there.
This made me really worried because my one, single, opportunity to finally upgrade, might be lost.

Then I tried A LOT of different combos, changing motherboards, even interchanging a spare 2006 era GPU that I had lying around in to my main rig just to sanity check that my PCIe slot was even working,
I tried turning off the iGPU and just running straight from the GTX 760, but it wouldn't show any signal and would result in a bad post, causing the rig to automatically reset BIOS to default.

Now, I'm guessing something is really, REALLY, borked with the GPU, yes, but I'm wondering if there's any chance that I could possibly repair it, because at this point, I spent my whole day just trying to get this P.O.S to work, and I'm at my wits end.

No, drivers didn't work. (Of course they wouldn't, Device Manager can't even see it.)
Yes, my BIOS version is the latest version.
I ran with default BIOS setting thinking it was some weird iGPU nonsense that was happening, yet it appears to have accomplished nothing.

I tried almost all of the ports on the GTX 760 (To be exact, it's the MSI GTX 760 2GB OC version.), HDMI didn't work, DisplayPort didn't work, only thing I haven't tried is the damn DVI port that I don't have an adapter for, I could buy one but what would be the point if the GPU is cooked anyway.

I'm mainly leaving this post here for suggestions on how to at least get the card being read by Device Manager, cause I don't think even the BIOS really see's it.

Now I'm gonna try and have a good night's rest as I've been trying to get this to work for almost 9 hours non stop.

Thank you for listening to my Ted-Talk.

Last edited:
Solution
Welp, decided that the card was dead considering that even the heat gun method didn't work, going to resell it to a recycler so I can get at least something out of it.

eternalabys

Reputable
Nov 8, 2018
I mean, I've tried with another motherboard, an AsRock G31M-VS2 and still without any output from the GPU, if anything, more and more of my stuff keeps breaking the more I invest in this damn GPU.

eternalabys

Reputable
Nov 8, 2018
As a guess, the GTX760 needs a legacy bios to be recognized.
Modern motherboards use UEFI which is needed by most cards launched after the GTX7xx.
See if there is a legacy option for graphics in your motherboard bios.

Also tried the Legacy option, didn't have any output, just same damn 100% fan speed and black screen.

eternalabys

Reputable
Nov 8, 2018
Welp, decided that the card was dead considering that even the heat gun method didn't work, going to resell it to a recycler so I can get at least something out of it.

Solution