PSU Failure, Need my old files from old HDD to transfer to new PC.

G1eEP

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015
So my 5 years old PSU finally come to an end. I'm currently using this PC to prepare my files ready to transfer on my upcoming PC, unfortunately I don't know if my HDD will still work.

Is there anyway to just include my old HDD for storage on my new PC, although I am still waiting for my processor and SSD this week, so my new build isn't done yet. Just want to ask if I can just slap it in, transfer the files and get on with?

It SHOULD be a fairly simple process you can either:
Build the new system, install the OS and drivers THEN pop your old drive in and transfer the files over. You may need to go to Windows disc management and assign the drive a letter before Windows will recognise it, maybe not.

OR you can use the current HDD as boot drive and upgrade the OS, replacing the current Windows install while leaving the current files/folders intact.

Be aware, you cannot mix AHCI and standard discs in the same system as far as I know, BOTH drives must be formatted under the same system. If the current drive isn't AHCI and you will use a AHCI SSD your best option would be to drop the drive into another machine and transfer your files to a flash memory stick THEN move them to the new build.