geodav52

Prominent
Mar 25, 2020
I have a desktop computer that runs a Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5 motherboard combined with a Gigabyte GV-R775OC-2GI graphics card.

Up until the other day all has worked fine for several years, however since then, the computer starts up fine, but there is no video output and the cooling fan on the video card does not move, leading me to deduct that the card was no longer working. There are no audible error messages given during the POST.

I subsequently ordered a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super Mini ITX 6G OC Graphics card. This card required an additional 8 pin power cable to be connected to the power supply unit which is an 850-watt Thermaltake Gold Toughpower unit. The computer is approximately 7 years of age and the PSU would be around 5 years of age.

Today I received my new graphics card which I installed and connected to the PSU using a 6 pin connector into the PSU and a 6+2 connector into the video card, however, on starting the computer, it begins to fire up (in that some lights illuminate and the fans begin to spin) but this lasts approximately ¼ second after which all simply loses power. I have tried connecting the power cable to different sockets on the PSU and moving the video card into a different PCI-E x 16 slot but the result is the same.

I would have thought my PSU, being an 850-watt unit, would be capable of powering everything but it appears not to be not coping. The system contains 32 GB of memory, multiple cooling fans, a water cooling system for the CPU and an SSD and five HDD.

Before I fork out more cash for a new PSU, however, I thought I would check with others, no doubt more knowledgeable in these matters than I, as to whether I am overlooking something else that may be causing the problem.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can assist.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Today I received my new graphics card which I installed and connected to the PSU using a 6 pin connector into the PSU and a 6+2 connector into the video card, however, on starting the computer, it begins to fire up (in that some lights illuminate and the fans begin to spin) but this lasts approximately ¼ second after which all simply loses power. I have tried connecting the power cable to different sockets on the PSU and moving the video card into a different PCI-E x 16 slot but the result is the same.
That seems abit odd since most/all pcie power cables are 8 pin at the psu side.

Which Thermaltake exactly?