PSU fan constantly at full speed

fugalism

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
Hey,

I recently upgraded my ASUS CM6830's video card to a GTX 960. I also installed a new PSU as the stock one wouldn't provide enough power to run said card. Everything works well, but the PSU fan is spinning at full speed constantly. When the PC boots it's whisper quiet, but as soon as the Windows 10 logo shows up it starts spinning like crazy. It will keep doing this until I turn the PC off. My CPU temp is around 40-45 degrees Celsius on idle, but ramps up till about 70-80 degrees under load. The PSU also gets really hot over time. Not scorching hot, but too hot nonetheless. I noticed there is close to no air coming out the back of the case, which is why I'm worried I might've installed something the wrong way. The PSU is top mounted as the case didn't allow me to install it any other way. I ordered a new CPU cooler and a new case, but I'd still like to know if I could potentially fix it.

Solution
For 60-80EUR, that SeaSonic I posted at 520W (assuming 520W is enough for your rig, I don't have the full components only the GPU) is perfect!

Airflow doesn't look too, too bad in that case, assuming your cables are pretty tidy.

If you're trying a new case anyway, no sense in messing around with it too much until then.
If the new case works, perfect. If not, there may be other factors at play.

fugalism

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
Wanted to add that upon rebooting the fan quiets down, and stays quiet untill the Windows 10 logo. I'm currently just letting it run on the BIOS screen and am noticing my CPU temp slowly rises. (Currently at 40 degrees.) If it keeps rising with the PSU fan close to off, I guess my case just has a really bad airflow and the new case should solve it

EDIT: CPU temp rose 5 degrees in 5 minutes with the PSU Fan off. Fan speed was at 1700RPM. I'm going to guess my airflow really is as terrible as I thought it was. Hopefully a new case and CPU fan will solve it. If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
CM G PSUs aren't the best, but I guess they're far from the worst.

It should have "an intelligent fan speed controller" itself, meaning it should fluctuate/ramp up from time to time.

Something doesn't sound right, and there's not much you could install incorrectly to result in ridiculously high temps (whether you have it as an intake (facing up in a top mounted setup) taking fresh air in & exhausting out the back it should be a little cooler than if it was taking warm air (facing down in a top mounted setup) from inside the computer & exhausting that to the rear.

Is there a switch on the back for 110/220 (or 230) voltages? Ensure it's set to your local settings (North America 110 and Europe 220/230), if it's set to the higher of the two, when you only require the lower, that may cause it.

fugalism

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016

It's currently positioned to take air in from the case and exhaust it out the back. Thing is, I barely feel any air being exhausted. There's no switch like that on the back, just an on/off switch.
I'm based in The Netherlands so it's most likely not that. (230V)

EDIT: CPU temps are averaging 35-40 degrees while idling now, which is normal. Seems like this is only because the PSU is running at full speed though. CPU fan's RPM is 1550-1570.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You won't feel a huge airflow out the back of the PSU, a 120mm fan, even at full speed isn't likely pushing too much out.

It's entirely possible you just have a defective PSU. If you're still within a return period, I'd return that unit.
Try to find something by SeaSonic or XFX (not sure of availability in the Netherlands).
Anything from Tier 1 or 2 from here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
(Yours is Tier 4. Only one step above essentially "avoid at all costs")

fugalism

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016

I'll wait untill thursday to see if the case and cpu cooler help. If they don't I guess I'll have to return it. Bought it last week so it's still within warranty. My budget as a student is kind of limited so I don't know if higher tiers are really an option.

Also on a last note, my CPU temps are currently averaging 50 degrees. PC has been on idle since I started it up an hour or two ago. PSU still feels cold to the touch. Could it really not just be an airflow issue? (The stock ASUS case isn't exactly good when it comes to that stuff.)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I doubt airflow in the case would be impacting the PSU fan etc (as it's pulling in from outside & exhausting out back), but for your CPU temps, that's definitely a possibility. Not sure of the case you have exactly, or the internal layout, but I'd suggest you do whatever you can to improve the airflow if you suspect it to be an issue.

As far as your budget, what did you spend on that PSU? I'll take a look and see if I can find any "budget friendly" quality PSUs in the Netherlands for you.

fugalism

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016

This is pretty much the case I have: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47xTpv0aNYM
Can't find any pictures of it unfortunately. I can't do much to improve the air flow that I know, aside from trying a new case. (Which I'll do on thursday.)

My budget would be between 60-80 euros.
Thanks for replying so far by the way!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
For 60-80EUR, that SeaSonic I posted at 520W (assuming 520W is enough for your rig, I don't have the full components only the GPU) is perfect!

Airflow doesn't look too, too bad in that case, assuming your cables are pretty tidy.

If you're trying a new case anyway, no sense in messing around with it too much until then.
If the new case works, perfect. If not, there may be other factors at play.

Solution

fugalism

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016

Just now when I changed HDMI cables on my PC the PSU all of a sudden made some loud rattling noise. Did it for 10-15 seconds, then the sound died down completely. Tried loading a game and it's been as loud as ever. Time to call for a return tomorrow I guess, doubt this has anything to do with me installing it wrong somehow. Going to get a Seasonic now. Thanks for the suggestions barty!

ONE LAST EDIT:
It just happened again, and I noticed my PC completely locks up when the fan makes that rattling noise. I'm talking no response at all, like you're watching a JPEG instead of controlling a PC. Does this by any chance indicate which part could be causing this? Both a faulty PSU and CPU could lock up a PC I imagine.