PSU Fan face up or down with my case? CONFUSED

Nov 30, 2018
Hello Fellas,

Question about as stated in the title.
I know I know. There are many threads talking about this topic, but I still confused.. sorry!!

My case : Thermaltake v200 TG RGB

https://www.thermaltake.com/Chassis/Mid_Tower_/V_Series/C_00003292/V200_Tempered_Glass_RGB_Edition/Design.htm

My PSU : Thermaltake TOUGHPOWER 850W 80+ Gold RGB

https://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002990

I didn't really need RGB and 850W for my build but it was on sale at Fry's electronics for $59.99 after rebate on black friday, so I didn't think too much and picked it up. And now I want to utilize its RGB feature, and I'm not planning on returning neither of the item as Fry's is far from my home, not worth of my time and effort.

Anyway, my question is, if you follow the link to the PSU, TT is saying that the PSU fan is designed facing up for better temperature control, and it should be installed up right. Also, the TT v200 TG RGB case has the sample image with their brand of PSU (I believe exactly the same PSU I bought. Wasn't intending but yeah.) installed with PSU fan facing up, but then this case doesn't have any holes on the top cover plate for air flow.

So my dilemma is :
1. I want to utilize my PSU RGB by installing it facing up, but it does not have holes on the plate direct above it for air circulation. So I'm concerned about not being able to fully optimize the low temperature condition.
2. Both for the case and PSU, Thermaltake is saying the PSU should be installed with fan facing up, but people on many websites thread are saying PSU should be installed facing down.

So.. What to do?
Your opinion is appreciated..!

Thank you.

Solution
I would never use any power supply in a modern ATX case with the vent facing up unless the case does not have a matching intake vent in it's floor.
The intake vent where the fan is located inside the PSU and draws in air should be facing the bottom of the case for ALL cases that do not use a top mounted power supply. No exceptions, except in some small form factor amd micro ITX cases that use totally different configurations.

No offense, but that's just another reason to avoid Thermaltake. That's a very weird configuration they have for that power supply and goes to show that they are more worried about bling than how the unit is actually going to perform and whether or not the design is complementary to actual best practices or not.

I'd say for that unit, you COULD leave it with the vent facing up, but if that unit has a fanless or ECO mode, switch it off. You will always want at least low speed fan operation going on if you face that vent into the case so it is not adding more heat to the inside of the case.

Poor, poor design by them IMO.