Question Psu fan is loud

Nov 5, 2019
Recently my PSU fan (Enermax Revo DUO series 700 watts) has been very loud and I'm not sure what to do.
I bought my pc from cyberpower about a year ago, I'm new to pc building so I'm not confident enough to go inside my pc and open up the PSU.

I've been using compressed air on it which does make the noise stop/reduce it but it will come back the next day or many hours later.

There hasn't been any performance issues other than the noise and my pc temperatures are fine from what I can tell. I think the fans might be hitting against something but i'm not sure.

There is a knob on the PSU which controls the fan speed, I keep adjusting it but I can't tell if that helps or if it's the compressed air that is helping.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGQH-ZN17_8&feature=youtu.be
(This is a video of the psu noise. the fan isn't going probably because I turned the knob all the way down)

View: https://imgur.com/UbSdQve
(Picture of the psu fan that is on the bottom. It's usually covered by a dust filter)

I don't know if I should take my pc to a pc repair shop or what.

You can open your PC and stick a pencil eraser into the PSU intake fan to see if that's for sure where the noise is coming from.

But it does sound like a PSU fan bearing that has failed.

That said, and as others have said, it's not a quality PSU. You probably should just replace it and call it a day.

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
You can open your PC and stick a pencil eraser into the PSU intake fan to see if that's for sure where the noise is coming from.

I just noticed from his video the noise is there while the fan isnt spinning at all !! , it seems like the outer ring is somehow loose from the fan , that is pretty dangerous that the psu fan has completely failed , i would reccomend not using the pc until you either replace it or fix the fan

I just noticed from his video the noise is there while the fan isnt spinning at all !! , it seems like the outer ring is somehow loose from the fan , that is pretty dangerous that the psu fan has completely failed , i would reccomend not using the pc until you either replace it or fix the fan

That PSU has two fans. One internal intake and the external exhaust.

Reactions: Mezoxin