[SOLVED] PSU fan revs up then PC crashes ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

threedb

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2015
I have crashing and suspect it is somehow PSU related. Usually the fan will loudly speed up, followed by a computer shutdown and immediate reboot. This often happens during renders. In After Effects or in Maya. But it happens at other times too. It has crashed during AE timeline scrub. It has crashed on fresh reboot with the only thing open is a browser with a billion tabs. Always the fan, then the shut down and then reboot. I first thought this was CPU and its fan, then GPU. Then I suspected RAM. Now I think PSU -- It seems like this is the fan making the noise. And then it seems like the PSU shuts down. Or something else? The fan action is 10 - 60 seconds before the crash. Very often the machine runs without problem. I animate in Maya. I do light gaming without issue. Then suddently it doesn't like something. I've tried a couple of troubleshooting options but I'm not sure what to do next. The machine is a summer 2022 build with all new parts. Nothing overclocked and all drivers should be up to date. I don't know if this is a PSU issue but I suspect it is. I hope I can post here. I would appreciate any help.

Thank you,
  • MB - MSI PRO Z690A DDR4 ProSeries MB
  • GPU - MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 LHR 10GB
  • PSU - EVGA Super Nova Plus Gold 850W
  • CPU - Intel Core i7-12700K
  • Fan - Noctua NH-D15
  • SSD - Intel 660p 1TB Internal SSD
  • RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) RAM DDR4
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RLZZCvyDo7k-vZWlsV_esPcsU_h_2ahSlWZ8ZFQGH5w/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

threedb

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2015
Did you have a bios switch and did it help?
Tried another psu? The HX series is good.
Vic! I cannot see bios switch on the card. Should be near pcie connectors but maybe it's buried somewhere... My eyes are bad. I may need to pull it.

Updated BIOS and that did nothing. Today I got crashes on Photoshop app launch ( 3x ) and also on GPU driver download / install -- nothing else running. It's weird.

Have not tried new PSU but I'm leaning that way.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Don't know which gpu you have exactly (?) so cannot say it has a bios switch for sure.

I would test with another psu, but understand that would be quite an investment. Maybe look at return possibilities when trying a new one. No friend or local shop that can help out?

threedb

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2015
Don't know which gpu you have exactly (?) so cannot say it has a bios switch for sure.

I would test with another psu, but understand that would be quite an investment. Maybe look at return possibilities when trying a new one. No friend or local shop that can help out?

I've melted into holiday festivities while the machine continues its descent into the Bermuda Triangle No updates now. I may try a second PSU. $ is always an issue. I am attempting to enlist some local tech help too. You've been incredibly generous with your help. Thank you very much. I will update as soon as I have something.

Reactions: Vic 40

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I've melted into holiday festivities while the machine continues its descent into the Bermuda Triangle No updates now.
That is fine, just react when you can, people in the thread usually get notified when a new answer is given.

I may try a second PSU. $ is always an issue. I am attempting to enlist some local tech help too. You've been incredibly generous with your help. Thank you very much. I will update as soon as I have something.
Both psu and local tech are valid options, you just decide what works better for you.

And you're welcome. Would like to see that update. (y)

threedb

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2015
Do let us now. I really hope so.
No crashes since install of new PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 850!

I'm convinced it was the EVGA G5 creating my issues. Either my unit was a bad one or the G5s are not so hot ( have read strong arguments along these lines ). PSU fan spin up has stopped and the machine runs like a total boss. No more random crashing. Network card was also getting booted at the time w/ the G5. Now, it no longer does this.

Yay Super flower Leadex III 850 W!

You've been incredibly helpful, Vic 40. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vic 40