PSU fan runs LOUD after logging into windows, and then crashes minutes after.

Jordan Go

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
Hello!

I recently noticed my PSU fan running VERY loud-- as though I were SLI gaming-- whenever I enter windows. It gets gradually louder until the system cuts out altogether, and will not allow me to turn it on for a few minutes thereafter.

I noticed that if I lean the tower against the wall, exposing the vent on the bottom and it runs for longer as long as I don't play any games.

Other than upgrading to Windows 10, I have not made any real upgrades to hardware or software, and prior to these crashes, I had no problems with my build. I took it apart piece by piece and cleaned it; however, the vent in the front of my case (Corsair 230T) got way dusty.

I guess what I am asking is whether or not I should be confident that the issue is the PSU and not anything else and buy another one, seek out a way to repair it (if it is even worth it), or if there is something I am missing.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that when the issue started, i noticed the smell of what seemed to be burnt plastic in my room when it was running.

Specs:
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Case: Corsair 230T

pud6FcR.jpg

Your system temperatures don't look bad. The CPU temp would be considered high if that is an idle temp reading. If you are sure the loud fan is the PSU and not the CPU then it appears your CX power supply is overheating and the fan is not able to compensate for it. Generally speaking, they are not worth the time and trouble to repair when the quality of the unit is relatively low to begin with. You will need a high quality 550-600 watt minimum PSU for your system with at least one 6-pin and one 6+2-pin PCIe power cable for the GTX 780. Look to XFX, Antec or EVGA B2, G2 or GS series for a replacement. If you're overclocking a 650 watt might be better.

Jordan Go

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014

I stopped the fan momentarily and the noise ceased; however, I had to switch to the stock cooler because I broke those terrible little mounts (the white prongs and black rod that plug into the motherboard.

And yeah, mostly idle-- watching a 1080p movie on my other monitor, so that may be what is heating it?

Jordan Go

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014

I forgot to mention that when the issue started, i noticed the smell of what seemed to be burnt plastic in my room when it was running.

OK then it sounds like the PSU is the problem. The smell could have been a capacitor expiring. Corsair CX series are known for that. Please refer to my first answer for a new PSU. If you have budget concerns we may be able to find something of good quality that you can still afford.