Psu fan spins fast and loud when gaming

Ali_125

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
I have 550 watts cooler master old supply or i have r9380 4gb gpu when am do normal task such as browsing downloading etc psu fan 120mm big fan spin normal still little loud but when am play games such as gta v get cry 4 etc psu fan begin spin so fast and loud is that a problem??any danger?or it's abnormal? +12v stays in 11.54 11.74 and 11.96 minimum 11.54

Solution
It's a poor power supply and should be replaced in the near future.

12v + is getting close to being out of spec , but still in acceptable range.

7YmBDHO.png

abhilaas

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
Its not a problem, first of all 11.54 is okay, playing these high end games that too on good GPU like yours does makes it draw more power. Now more power generates more heat in the PSU, As a result the fan automatically increases its RPM to dissipate that extra heat, so more more speed and more noisy. I will recommend u to give your PSU a little cleaning and remove as must dust as possible without opening it.

abhilaas

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
I don't think so, normally cooler master PSU are very well build, they do come with good quality components. A GPU like R9 380 can easily work on a genuine 550w PSU. Try cleaning the PSU first, if that does not help get your PSU checked by any certified hardware technician. But I think a proper cleaning should help in keeping the noise low.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Drawing 89 W at idle would be terrible, I very much doubt that's the case.

My best guesses:
1) HW monitor is simply inaccurate
2) HW monitor is reporting the power draw going through the mobo PCIe (although this should be 75 W max according to spec), but doesn't include power being delivered by additional 6/8 pin power connectors.