PSU fan stopped working, however...

Voidware

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Hi guys.

I need your advice / opinion on this matter of mine concerning my PSU. Last week I discovered that the fan had stopped working. Prior to its stop I noticed a fan (didn't know it was the PSU's) was loud and making clicking noises like something was stuck inside every now and then. What lead me to inspect the insides was, for a second, smell something burnt a few days later (but nothing was on fire, nor any smoke or sparks visible). So I opened the case and then saw that the fan wasn't working. I switched off the PC and left it alone with the plan to buy a new PSU.

However today just for the sake of it I decided to open up the PSU and clean the fan a blow away the dust inside. I had an old unusable PC due to half its components missing which I used to try the PSU on, and it turned out that the fan was actually working. I I really thought it'd be dead, so I'm really unsure if the problem was genuinely a busted PSU or just a very dusty PSU fan which stopped working because of the build-up of dust.

I'd like to know if anyone else had a PSU fan which started working again after a clean?

goldsauce

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Looks like the PSU fan is just failing and if the fan stopped running I would consider just buying another PSU because it is probally already old.

Voidware

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
I guess it is getting slightly old. I bought this one in Feb '09. It's an OCZ StealthXStream 500w. Planning to buy the Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 650W, unless you have a better suggestion. =)