[SOLVED] PSU fans ramping down and up?

Jan 21, 2021
Hello there.

I am using an rtx 3080 and 5900x with an Cougar GEX 850W GOLD 80+, Cooler Master 511 rgb case.

The issue is the following, when playing games demanding ones especially the PSU makes a loud noise like a jet engine for a sec or two and then stops when an stable temperature is made. I m guessing that it's the fan probably?

For example in the game I play the stable temperature of the GPU is around 70 degrees, however when I pause the game or go to the menu it can go down to 43 degrees, and when I resume the game the ramp sound kicks in a few times and then stops.

My question is this a normal behavior of this PSU or for all PSU's of this type?

Below is the sound recorded:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q5OXMg0mVVp4c520uHzhMh1_dff8PdCT/view?usp=sharing - Please skip to 00:15 and 00:32 - the fans that can be heard from the start are the GPU ones, the ramp up and down is coming from the PSU

Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
RTX 3080 and Ryzen 9 5900X are quite hungry. TDP does not show peak power demand. Real peak numbers are like 158W for 5900X and up to 400W for RTX 3080. Add demand of drives, RAM and your RGB party case/fans here. Is always worth to have a little headroom like 15% spare power in case of anything. Switching PSU on 95%+ consumption is not so effective anymore and in case of loud fan will turn into roaring monster like yours. So my verdict about undervolting or PSU replacing stay. Of course you can exit from situation with headphones able to block major sounds from outside.

For PSU replacement I'll bet on Corsair RM850x. It is perfect match for your CPU/GPU (850 W continuous power will handle demand spikes) and worth to wait.
Share that Google link with public view access, please. No one from here can see it.

Yes, PSU will ramp up fan rotation when on larger power demand internal temperature rise. That is perfectly normal. Seems you can do nothing here except manage to lower power demand from components in your system. However because you use CPU and GPU with high power demand, it will not happen. So you basically have 2 options:
  • Underclock GPU or GPU. CPU undervolting under PBO 2.0 may help here too, if your MOBO can/will support it.
  • Or get diferent PSU with larger power output support (real 1000W, check under LTT PSU A tier list), or more silent fan. Something like Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 11 850W+.

Jan 21, 2021
Weird I though that I already set on public should be fine now: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q5OXMg0mVVp4c520uHzhMh1_dff8PdCT/view?usp=sharing .

Well if my math is not wrong all in all the usage should be around 600W - I don't OC. So there should be around 250w headroom.

Do I really need more than 850w?

Seems my PSU falls under B tier.

Anyhow I will send the PC to a tech center so that they can confirm if the PSU is like that or faulty, since I am no expert, and I will report back the results.

Regarding the undervolting I m not sure if the Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 supports it.

I m probably gonna change the PSU if it turns out that this model works like that.

In the shop where I live they have currently - EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 850W 120-GP-0850-X2 and RAIDMAX RX-1000AP-S SCORPIO 80+ Bronze 1000W. Are they even worth? Also this one seems nice, but I will have to wait a bit for it - Corsair RMx Series RM850x 850W Gold (CP-9020093)

Thanks for your feedback so far :)

RTX 3080 and Ryzen 9 5900X are quite hungry. TDP does not show peak power demand. Real peak numbers are like 158W for 5900X and up to 400W for RTX 3080. Add demand of drives, RAM and your RGB party case/fans here. Is always worth to have a little headroom like 15% spare power in case of anything. Switching PSU on 95%+ consumption is not so effective anymore and in case of loud fan will turn into roaring monster like yours. So my verdict about undervolting or PSU replacing stay. Of course you can exit from situation with headphones able to block major sounds from outside.

For PSU replacement I'll bet on Corsair RM850x. It is perfect match for your CPU/GPU (850 W continuous power will handle demand spikes) and worth to wait.

Last edited:
Solution