PSU - Focus Plus 750 Gold - concern regarding it's amperage (20 vs 24 on 3.3V-5V)

nisemono

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Some time ago I found a statement, highly upvoted, which claimed that a good PSU has at least 24 Amperes on its 3.3V and 5V rails. Is there any truth to that ? (can't seem to find the statement anymore though)

I plan to buy the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750 Watt PSU, which has some really good reviews, and a 10 year warranty on top of that, but I plan on overclocking everything in my PC, from CPU and RAM to the GPU.

Are my concerns well founded ?

Solution

They are not. Anyone who is claiming high importance for the output of the +3.3V and +5V rails is either writing in 1997 or simply has no idea what they're talking about. Most of the primary components of PCs use +12V power and, in fact, a lot of amps on the +3.3V/+5V rails is a...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

They are not. Anyone who is claiming high importance for the output of the +3.3V and +5V rails is either writing in 1997 or simply has no idea what they're talking about. Most of the primary components of PCs use +12V power and, in fact, a lot of amps on the +3.3V/+5V rails is a telltale sign of a PSU on the junk side. Beefy +3.3V/+5V rails are designs for Pentium III-era power supplies.

Solution