There are a lot of factors to consider such as:

What overclock for the CPU?

What cooler does the CPU have?

How many SSDs/HDDs?

How many optical drives?

Which 980Tis? (stock or after market)

Plan to overclock the 980Tis?

The normal recommendation for a single 980Ti from nVidia is 600W. That is a stock 980Tiu at 1000MHz with a stock 3.2GHz i7. Due to your CPU overclock and dependant on your setup 850W would be cutting it very close to the minimum PSU needed to run it.

I would recommend a 1000W PSU mainly to have the extra room in case you are overclocking the GPUs.

Jul 27, 2015

Hopefully around 4.5/4.6 GHz
Cooler Master Nepton 240m
2x SSDs, 1x HHD
0 Optical Drives
Gigabyte's Windforce Aftermarket
No plan to OC the cards

gakerty

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014
FYI I use an EVGA Supernova 1000W that powers the following well:

2x MSI 980Ti Gaming in SLI (using the moderate MSI Gaming software OC)
4770K OC'd to 4.5ghz
Corsair G100GTX CPU cooler
3 Samsung SSD
1 2 TB HDD
1 Blu Ray burner

I would guess that a 750W PS would be insufficient in my case, so I went better safe than sorry.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
1000 is overkill, I mean if you get a good deal sure, but the G2 850w is a great PSU very efficient, and in reality the whole setup likely needs well under 850w to run. For example my setup says its recommended 800w to run, I have a power meter and even maxed out It draws 661 watts. And my cards are overclocked!

I wouldn't do 750, but 850 is recommended and the G2 is one of the best you can get, plenty of breathing room there.

Your setup though is much lower power draw in comparison especially when he overclocks.

I would say 850W would be minimum but to have breathing room he should push towards 1000W.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I don't agree, my CPU is only about 40 watts power draw short of his. And my R9 280's are less efficient and have only slightly less power requirements (and now they are overclocked so they are likely worse). In the end our systems are completely different but suffiuce it to say his power needs are likely similar to mine. Even if he drew 100 watts more than me at max load (and he wont), thats still well below what the 850 G2 can reliably put out. 1000 watts is overkill.

TRENDING THREADS