PSU for Building my RIG

Frtune

Reputable
Sep 7, 2016
Hi,

I'm going to build a PC, but I don't know what PSU is good for the PC that I'm going to build because it might broke the components if it has a low voltage or higher voltage. Do you need to calculate or do you need to get the voltage of the mainparts?

Here are the parts that I'm going to build for my PC.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3
Processor: AMD A8-7600 3.1GHZ
Memory: Kingston 4GB 2X 1866 HyperX
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM SATA
GPU:Integrated AMD Radeon R7 on Processor

Solution

you look at how much power the components draw, mainly CPU & GPU as they are by far the most power hungry components
your pc has a TPD of 65W, add a bit to it as that is usually a lab number.
add a few Watts for mainboard and RAM (~5/slot as a guideline), depending on how fancy your mainboard (25-85W) is a few more or less and add the TPD of your GPU
a 1TB HDD draws around 5-8W, a 500GB SATA SSD around 2W, an optical drive (up to 25, bluerays a few W more)
and every fan adds another 2W roughly

and then you add some headroom. you don't wanna go to 100% load with your PSU but stay within 65-85% depending on how good the quality of your...
I can give you a list of good PSUs:

everything made by Seasonic
everything made by XFX (except the XT series, XTR is fine)
EVGA Supernova GS / G2 / P2
Corsair Ax/Hx/RMx/RMi, eventually CXm (stay clear of CX, CS, CSM, V)
Antec HC / HCG

with an integrated graphics card you won't need so much power (although I strongly recommend getting more RAM when using integrated graphics)
so everything above 270W is fine
if you want to add a graphics card later on I'd go with at least 450W

GraySilencer

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016

It doesn't look like this build would need very much power. This power supply is reliable and should work fine for your build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dTK7YJ/seasonic-power-supply-ssr360gp

If you plan on adding a graphics card later, I would probably just go with this one:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qYTrxr/evga-power-supply-220g20550y1

you look at how much power the components draw, mainly CPU & GPU as they are by far the most power hungry components
your pc has a TPD of 65W, add a bit to it as that is usually a lab number.
add a few Watts for mainboard and RAM (~5/slot as a guideline), depending on how fancy your mainboard (25-85W) is a few more or less and add the TPD of your GPU
a 1TB HDD draws around 5-8W, a 500GB SATA SSD around 2W, an optical drive (up to 25, bluerays a few W more)
and every fan adds another 2W roughly

and then you add some headroom. you don't wanna go to 100% load with your PSU but stay within 65-85% depending on how good the quality of your unit is.
generally you should take into consideration the max output on the 12V rail(s) which will power CPU, GPU, mainboard and eventually other components as well (depending on the component) as many (especially older PSUs) can't output the complete Wattage @12V

generally speaking: non overclocked CPU + mid range GPU ~400-450W (depending on the setup, if you go with AMD FX-series for example it's much more),
non overclocked CPU + highend GPU ~450-550W (depending on the specific components)
overclockable CPU + highend GPU ~550W-650W
overclocked highend CPU + overclocked highend GPU ~650W-750W
highend CPU + 2 highend GPUs ~750W+

but you always have to factor in the build quality of your PSU and of the used units.

Solution