Psu for Evga Gtx 1070 FTW

sinaxxramax

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
Hello,

I'm going to build a new gamig pc soon but I have a question in my mind. The build in my mind is:
I7 7700 (non K)
Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb 2400MHz
EVGA Gtx 1070 FTW
x2 Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Asus Prime B250-Pro
RM550x 550w 80+ gold

My question is, will the power supply be able to handle this system, since EVGA needs more power than other GPUs and instead of x1 8pin it needs x2 of it.

gussrtk

Honorable
google is friend.......

so you've got a nice 550watt PSU.. which is not 40$. Right away... we can assume.... you're in the clear....

but checking it.... HERE

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/3zNypg/corsair-power-supply-cp9020090na

if we scroll down on the spec section (left) you can see

"PCI-EXPRESS 6+2-PIN CONNECTORS

so that means 8pin x2.

we can say you are in the clear. happy gaming. Google oogle away

Solution

sinaxxramax

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
I asked uncle Google but I couldn't get a proper answer XD This is the first PC i'll be building and wasn't sure if i'd be needing the second one for something else XD But thank you.

Yes it will.

I would opt for the 1080. Gigabyte? Why? Because Nvidia are being greedy (censoreds)Sure they will still get money but not more than normal. Every year the **70 has been in the $300 range. Now Nvidia feels it's appropriate to charge well over $400 for it. Whether it's a marketing tactic or greed the 1070's value is the loest on the totem pole it's eve been. Can't blame it on just the miners at this point. Etherium has already had its fun.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Its not Nvidia charging the money for the cards, its the retailers and the card manufacturers.

Okay. Nvidia makes the GPU. It is too far removed to be a result of them having to pay out for that old lawsuit.

Still the prices of the 1070 are stupid high.

sinaxxramax

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
About the prices of Gtx 1080 and 1070, yes and no. Here, where I'm currently in, the price difference between a Gtx 1080 and 1070 kind of ridiculous. Only Gtx 1080 gpus that are okay priced are Gigabyte's Turbo OC and Msi's Aero Oc which are blower style and i'm kind of unsure if blower style gpus worth to buy for a case with 5 fans.

gussrtk

Honorable

well, not sure where you're from exactly, but you could wait a few months for new line of GPUs that are coming. but that's up to you, later this year/ early next year theyll come out

Yes it is. A case with 1 front fan and one rear fan isn't really an optimal solution. For your case I do feel that it can handle it. It will be slightly louder.

sinaxxramax

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017

This build will be gathered together in 3-4 months (with the discounts, sooner hopefully) but not sure if the new series will affect the prices that quickly.

In this case, which one is better? I assume MSI one is better but again I don't know. (wouldn't guess that the blower style gpus worth in these kind of cases)

They are pretty much identical in every respect save for Gigabyte's ~20MHz boost clock advantage but MSI AB makes that moot.
I agree with you. Personally I prefer EVGA but next up is MSI.

sinaxxramax

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017

Oh alright, thank you :)

You're welcome :D