PSU for FX-6300 + R9 270/R9 270X

hetoneato

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015
Hello,
I'm getting this nice processor that's on sale here, but I'm not sure about the GPU. One choice is the R9 270, the other one is 270X, and of course, the PSU. I've looked at parameters of each GPU, difference is only in Core clock, which is apparently 100 MHz higher on 270X. My current PSU is Fortron AX550-60APN 550W, OEM, which hilariously makes jet-engine start sounds on PC start-up, but then is pretty quiet. I'd like to play BF4 at possibly ultra settings, I've seen some tests and they were succesful on both cards.
Now to my question. Which one of these cards should I choose, the 270X being 25 bucks more expensive, does the Core clock really matter that much, and can my PSU handle the FX-6300 and one of these GPUs?
Thanks for answers!

Solution
for your kind of system, a 500w-600w PSU from a reputable brand (like seasonic, antec, xfx or evga) and it should power your system, and wont die on you in the future.
also, overclocking does produce more heat, but if you have even some sort of airflow (like 2 fans), you can overclock the card and get more performance for basically free.

davidarad02

Admirable
the PSU would power them just fine, but i can notice that it is a crap one. replace it as soon as possible. the one you have WILL kill your components sometime.
btw, there are some more differences between the 270 and the 270x, that being a little bit less stream processors. it wont matter much, as overclocking will let you have 270x performance for 25 bucks less.

hetoneato

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015

How do I know which PSU to choose, seasonic one maybe? And for the overclocking, doesn't overclocking make a lot of heat?

davidarad02

Admirable
for your kind of system, a 500w-600w PSU from a reputable brand (like seasonic, antec, xfx or evga) and it should power your system, and wont die on you in the future.
also, overclocking does produce more heat, but if you have even some sort of airflow (like 2 fans), you can overclock the card and get more performance for basically free.

Solution

hetoneato

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015

Nice, okay thanks, once I've got the money, I'm gonna get the seasonic 620W. Thanks for help.