PSU for GTX970, Corsair's not doin' it.

ThatGuyIvory

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
So I've got Gigabyte's GTX970 that's running onto some issue for a while now.
Whenever I'm into some more requiring games the PC tends to freeze with a black screen and needs a hard reboot to kick in again.

I've finally found that it's the PSU who can't handle the power spikes and triggers a protection.
My current PSU is Corsair CX600 80+ Bronze Modular, which I only now found to be not so good.

So I'm back on the hunt for a PSU that will handle this card, preferably the size of my current Corsair.
I haven't been following what's what on the market recently so I'll appreciate any help.

Thanks!

pizzaboyuk

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017
I was running okay with 970 and CX600 a few weeks back. Apart from it being exceptionally loud, it ran fine.

Power should be more than enough. Maybe check your drivers and what game and settings you are running.

Country, budget and system specs pls
For most configurations a 550W unit is easily enough, but decent units come in different price ranges.
The new, updated Corsair CXM 550 & the Seasonic 620W models usually being the cheapest that I'd trust.my system with

ThatGuyIvory

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
Country's Poland.
The funny thing is I could play Witcher 3 maxed out and get a stable 50-60 FPS (still haven't changed the display, so I'm running in 1280x1024), but in a game like ArcheAge the whole thing goes to blackscreen 1-2 minutes into the game.
Specs:
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5
Intel Core i5-4590, 3.3GHz, 6MB
Asus B85 Intel B85
G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9
Seagate 1TB 3,5" SATAIII
Corsair Builder Series CX 600W 80+ Bronze Modular

A bit of details on the issue itself: as far as I know it's a relativelty known issue with some 970's.
In certain games (no pattern as far as requirements go) the screen shuts off, I can still hear some of the game sounds and the only way to bring it back up is by a hard restart.
Quick note - I can also extend the playtime by a bit by downclocking the card a little.