[SOLVED] PSU for Intel i5-13500 and a mid-range GPU ?

will2power

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Hi all,

It is me again! I have following set up now,

CPU Intel i5 13500
Motherboard Tomahawk B760
M.2 1TB drive (version 4?)
Zalman Z10 case

I need a power supply that can be used for now and support some 2nd hand GPUs I will likely acquire, perhaps sooner than later.
For GPU I have seen very reasonable prices GTX 1060-1080, GTX1660 ti too. I may go up in future to 2000 range but think it is more than needed. I will prob buy a GPU in about 1 year or so. A PSU that can handle the GPU is essential I think, as they have 10 year warranties.

Is there any drawback of a high Wattage PSU running at low load? With the i5 13500 onboard graphics for example?
What wattage and PSU should I be aiming at? Something quiet would be good as I have quiet case.

Ideas I have
A Corsair RM series, 650W to 850W, not sure what is needed. Do the X and E series differences mean much, I heard X were quiet? Are the older ones (2019) a lot different from 2021 upgrades?
I can get:
Corsair RM650x 2021 CP-9020198-JP 80PLUS GOLD for ¥12,864 $98
CorsairRM750e 2021 CP-9020248-JP 80PLUS GOLD for ¥13,909 $105
Corsair RM850-2019- 850W PC Power Supply Unit 80PLUS GOLD PS863 CP-9020196-JP ¥15,780 $120

Other than the recommended Corsairs I looked at tier list but was bit overwhelmed. Seasonic were recommended, here seems they are sold under Owltech, anyon heard of them? Their site sells both seasonic and their own versions made by seasonic. I will ask someone in a store I think. Owltech seasonic gets high reviews and is frequently sold out.

Seasonic, FOCUS-GM-650
¥13,978
Seasonic, FOCUS-GM-850 https://kakaku.com/item/K0001238316/ (cheaper than 750 version)
¥14,589
Owltec HPT650 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified ATX Power Supply Unit, FSP Gaming Power Supply, Hydro PT Series
https://www.amazon.co.jp/Owltec-HPT650-PLATINUM-Certified-Supply/dp/B08GKFXY4X/ (5 star rating)
¥10,773
Owltec Seasonic FOCUS Series 650W
¥8,380
Owltec Seasonic FOCUS GX Series 850W FOCUS-GX-850
¥16,800

Finally Antec and some more unknown options. Antec NeoEco is popular here, never heard of them and could be they are sold under other names elsewhere. Get good reviews also.
Antec: NeoECO Gold NE750G M
¥12,900
ANTEC: 80PLUS GOLD Certified High Efficiency Heavy Duty Power Supply Unit NE750 GOLD
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/80PLUS-GOLD-Certified-Efficiency-NE750/dp/B078JBVTBV
¥11,846

An interesting Silverstone one because it is 700W and reduced, the 750 and 850 are a lot more expensive. Also cheaper than many others.
Silverstone Essential Series 80PLUS Gold Certified 
700W
¥10,500

Others. XPG I am not sure about, ApexGaming I heard can be loud at high load.
DP-GD-DQ750-M-V2L
¥11,190
XPG CORE REACTOR COREREACTOR650G-BKCJP
¥11,660
Apexgaming AG Series 80 PLUS GOLD Certified 750W
¥9,900

Apologies for the load of links. As always I am looking to not make a mistake but also not pay over the amount needed for my build and future plans. I suspect Corsair will be the recomendation, was wondering if there are some hidden gems out there though. I always start with a load of ideas then quickly edit down.

Any advice appreciated. I will order today or pick up in store tomorrow,

Thanks again!!

Solution
No, there is really no disadvantage of running a higher capacity PSU at a lower load, other than some FEW models might not be AS efficient when down in the less than ~2% range. Big deal, that's idle and has little to do with most systems and most system at or below 2% will be sleeping or at an even lower power state anyhow. So, no. A PSU only "eats" what it needs to "eat" and nothing more, for the most part.

Most all of the units you've linked are based off the same or revisions of, the same platform. So don't expect there to be huge differences between most of them including the Antec unit.

Look to these two links and even though the information is not fully up to date, for which I apologize, neither are the units you are looking at...
No, there is really no disadvantage of running a higher capacity PSU at a lower load, other than some FEW models might not be AS efficient when down in the less than ~2% range. Big deal, that's idle and has little to do with most systems and most system at or below 2% will be sleeping or at an even lower power state anyhow. So, no. A PSU only "eats" what it needs to "eat" and nothing more, for the most part.

Most all of the units you've linked are based off the same or revisions of, the same platform. So don't expect there to be huge differences between most of them including the Antec unit.

Look to these two links and even though the information is not fully up to date, for which I apologize, neither are the units you are looking at so really it remains very relevant.

Reactions: will2power
Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Manufacturer warranty usually tells the quality tail as well. Junk is 1 to 3 years. The 'alright to good' stuff begins around 5~7yrs. Better still, and where you should aim your purchase at, is a power supply with 10yr warranty period like the Rmx line of Corsair power supplies.

Some PSU fans do not spin AT ALL until the load reaches a certain level. The terminology for this feature can vary, so you'd have to weed through the spec sheet.

In my experience, PSU fan noise is well behind case fan and CPU fan noise as a source of irritation. Your mileage could vary depending on your typical work loads.

Moving your case 2 feet farther away can work miracles on perceived noise levels if that is an option.

I wouldn't get wound up on the gold/platinum/titanium thing unless you have an unusual circumstance.

will2power

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Thanks everyone.

I think all those listed have a 10 year guarantee. It is because of this I want a supply that will last into future upgrades.

What wattage should I be aiming at?

Currently I calculated I only need about 350W-400W with no GPU.

With a decent GPU, a 20XX at most, likely a 1080 or the 1660, I am guessing 750W is safe?

Look to these two links and even though the information is not fully up to date, for which I apologize, neither are the units you are looking at so really it remains very relevant.

Those were the two I used, combined with https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&params=2,0,28

I think I got in too deep tbh, I got very confused about unnecessary things.

Anything on my list stand out? I am matching the tiers for what I have at the moment. Mainly I need to know a "safe" enough power wattage. An 850W prob overkill but will last 10 years, I doubt I will be buying any GPU that is of current high end even in 10 years!

Your plan to buy a strong psu with a 10 year warranty is sound.
Using integrated graphics, even a minimal 300w unit will do.
Think of the strongest graphics card you might ever want to install.
That is what drives the wattage you need.
A 13500 is capable of effectively driving the strongest of graphics cards.
Here is a handy chart as to what different graphics cards can use:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

I might add that modern cards can have high power spikes, well past the nominal power load.
Usually, the incremental price between 750w/850w/950w is not that great.

will2power

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Your plan to buy a strong psu with a 10 year warranty is sound.
Using integrated graphics, even a minimal 300w unit will do.
Think of the strongest graphics card you might ever want to install.
That is what drives the wattage you need.
A 13500 is capable of effectively driving the strongest of graphics cards.
Here is a handy chart as to what different graphics cards can use:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

I might add that modern cards can have high power spikes, well past the nominal power load.
Usually, the incremental price between 750w/850w/950w is not that great.

I feel because the incremental is not that great it is worth me buying something much more than needed at present. Sometimes here there is almost no difference at all in moving up, a few $. I have noticed a trend to group the 550W and 650W together with little difference in cost then jump up in cost to the 750W and 850W with little difference between them. I was considering either 650W or 850W and may just go for later.

The graphics card chart is really useful, I had seen similar but less detailed.

mentioned I would prob get something like a GTX 1060/70/80 or a 2060/70/80, a 1660 also would be considered. I realise there are different versions of those cards with vastly different power consumptions. I feel a 850W power supply gets most except the really top tier?

The Adata XPG Core Reactor along with the Corsairs are "A tier" in the Toms Hardware guide. The Corsairs vary between X and E variants, eg RM850e, RM850 and RM850x. The X are the best performance and most expensive, E are quieter and cheapest, they use difference components and fans etc. Makes me feel unsure about which to get, the X are out of range I feel.

These are Tier A and also get great scores on Cybernetics.com tests, Platinum or Gold for performance and A- to A+ for sound. There is about 700 yen between 550 and 650 and then 750 and 850
XPG CORE REACTOR COREREACTOR650G-BKCJP
¥11,660 $90
XPG CORE REACTOR COREREACTOR750G-BKCJP
¥14,080 $108
XPG CORE REACTOR COREREACTOR850G-BKCJP
¥14,810 $115

I will likely buy the ADATA XPG CORE REACTOR 850W unless someone knows something I am missing. I am sure it will fit a Tomahawk 760 MB and the case I am getting is massive

will2power

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Thanks. I checked and it is modular plus will turn fan off for light loads if needed etc. I think for price I cannot get better. Corsair RM850x would be great too but a $15-20 more.

Final things, my motherboard says power is this:
12+1+1 phase Duet Rail Power System(DRPS) 75A SP

I guess that is way of handling power and nothing to do with connection?
Plus I noticed some PSUs are sold with thermal grease, I thought this was just for CPU? Is it needed and where does it go!

Thaks for the help!

will2power

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Never heard about thermal grease being applicable to power supplies.
Do you have a link?

I am sure it was an Amazon link, with boxes to click on, similar how they have a selection to go for CPU and Motherboard and they give a selected MB in the deal.

Was for a silicon grease made by "pro overclocker" Shimoshi. I think they are just combining the product with anything!

Had never heard and wondered what the use would be? A slippery power system or something?o_O

The Tier lists are opinion based but also the https://www.cybenetics.com/ give pdfs of loads of tech information I do not understand, except noise levels and percentages for performance at various loads. Gives a conclusion for efficiency/ performance and noise, eg 25-30 db noise is A rating or something and if performance stays around 90% through stages it gets Gold. I do not understand but refreshing to have extra confirmation to add to my building bias.

I start from zero expectations of what to get, listen to people, research, decide priority and needs and zone in to a few to buy by excluding others.

Some power supplies MIGHT come with "dielectric grease" but no power supplies should ever come with "thermal grease". And I have personally never heard of one coming with dielectric grease and wouldn't recommend using it on any of the connections anyhow unless maybe you live somewhere where there is VERY SERIOUS humidity, like in the jungles of south America or along the beach in the warmer parts of the world, and even then I think it would probably not be particularly helpful as those connections likely wouldn't be where problems from humidity would tend to be focused anyhow.

There is no part of a power supply that any user should EVER be applying thermal grease to.

The Cybenetics certifications are not "reviews". They are simply "tools" that might help when trying to determine if a unit is any good or not but there is MUCH they don't tell you which is exactly why Aris ALSO does reviews of many units, if they are even worth reviewing and as his time allows, because the Cybenetics criteria leaves out a lot of what is important when buying a power supply no different than the 80plus certifications do. If they didn't, there wouldn't be much point in still having professional reviews except for models that Cybenetics hadn't tested. And keep in mind, Aris is one of the founders of Cybenetics, so if he thinks reviews are still a valuable resource then it's kind of hard to argue with.

And of course, he does the PSU reviews for Tom's hardware and TechpowerUP, as well as having his own website here:

will2power

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Some power supplies MIGHT come with "dielectric grease" but no power supplies should ever come with "thermal grease". And I have personally never heard of one coming with dielectric grease and wouldn't recommend using it on any of the connections anyhow unless maybe you live somewhere where there is VERY SERIOUS humidity, like in the jungles of south America or along the beach in the warmer parts of the world, and even then I think it would probably not be particularly helpful as those connections likely wouldn't be where problems from humidity would tend to be focused anyhow.

There is no part of a power supply that any user should EVER be applying thermal grease to.

The Cybenetics certifications are not "reviews". They are simply "tools" that might help when trying to determine if a unit is any good or not but there is MUCH they don't tell you which is exactly why Aris ALSO does reviews of many units, if they are even worth reviewing and as his time allows, because the Cybenetics criteria leaves out a lot of what is important when buying a power supply no different than the 80plus certifications do. If they didn't, there wouldn't be much point in still having professional reviews except for models that Cybenetics hadn't tested. And keep in mind, Aris is one of the founders of Cybenetics, so if he thinks reviews are still a valuable resource then it's kind of hard to argue with.

And of course, he does the PSU reviews for Tom's hardware and TechpowerUP, as well as having his own website here:

Thanks for the info, https://hwbusters.com/ is a great site with a lot of hardware missing from other sites.

I totally agree about balancing reviews with stats, I guess what clinched it for me was that the reviews were backing the statistics and visa versa.

Checking out the 750W and 850W core reactor in https://hwbusters.com/ I found both in best PSUs of 2023, as alternatives to the corsair RM 850/750x which was 1st choice. They are fair bit more expensive here than the XPG Core Reactors so I will just go with them. Seen enough to suggest it is a good buy, "best" depends on a lot of factors but wanted to make sure I had a good supply that is also future proofed.

I bought and have everything ready to go, thanks again everyone

Reactions: Darkbreeze