Question PSU for mITX mobo/case

Sep 15, 2023
Thanks man! So there's no throwing yet, I will check it out, I thought that m-itx need some special PSUs only. Thank you :) Have a nice day

Sep 15, 2023
Why do you want to re-use a 12 year old PSU wit outdated internal design that's a long time past it's warranty time for new hardware?
I dont know, never had an issue with it, and could save some money I guess, or what should I do, throwing it away seems like a waste..., what do you think?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it is an old model but at least it was is a quality unit for its time. it might last forever, or it might fail tomorrow. it's a risk you take with such old hardware.

i've got similar aged units running fine in systems myself. but those systems are not high powered gaming rigs. they are more like browsing/streaming/office type work.

it's up to you, but most will suggest a new unti to go with a new system. i'd also suggest it for a new gaming rig. just to be safe.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Sep 15, 2023
it is an old model but at least it was is a quality unit for its time. it might last forever, or it might fail tomorrow. it's a risk you take with such old hardware.

i've got similar aged units running fine in systems myself. but those systems are not high powered gaming rigs. they are more like browsing/streaming/office type work.

it's up to you, but most will suggest a new unti to go with a new system. i'd also suggest it for a new gaming rig. just to be safe.
Thanks man! I really appriciate your knowledge. :)

I bought that one long time ago, thing is I didnt game much on it (just some games here and there) nothing stressful I would say, (sometimes felt like overkill to buy that PSU) tho I planed to game more, but not much interesting games came in recent years, and many of the ones that came was a dissapointment, altho I hope thats about to change.

However, I never considered the option "what if the psu fails" I mean... are there any dangers if the PSU suddenly fail, like harming the other components? Or what could possibly happen, I thought its just if it fails , I can replace it then, or am I missing something? Let me know please, as I said before, thanks a lot for your help.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that psu has many protections built in. if it fails it is unlikely to damage anything. rather it would just shut down and not start again.

more modern psu's of course have updated and more modern protections, which is one of the main reasons to update it. i've seen quality psu's just stop working and i've seen some low end junk units start a fire taking compartments with it. i've also seen it the other way around. ...

most likely at moderate load, the psu would just shut itself down and not restart causing no damage to anything else. but of course there is always that risk it would be more dramatic and take something with it.

Sep 15, 2023
that psu has many protections built in. if it fails it is unlikely to damage anything. rather it would just shut down and not start again.

more modern psu's of course have updated and more modern protections, which is one of the main reasons to update it. i've seen quality psu's just stop working and i've seen some low end junk units start a fire taking compartments with it. i've also seen it the other way around. ...

most likely at moderate load, the psu would just shut itself down and not restart causing no damage to anything else. but of course there is always that risk it would be more dramatic and take something with it.
Thanks man! You have been a help, I really appriciate it. How do I mark your posts as solved?