[SOLVED] PSU for my PC specs ?

Aug 12, 2022
I have an old Seasonic M12II 620w psu.
I am wondering if this psu will have any issue and if its capable of running this:

X570S mobo
Ryzen 5900X
2060 non S, undervolted
32gb dual kit RAM
1 nvme SSD
1 sata SSD
2 hdd

Solution
Can it handle that? Most likely yes. Should it? Not a chance. First issue is the age of the PSU. They don't last forever, and that's a very old PSU. Not only is it very old, it simply wasn't built to handle PCs of today. It has no way to handle the power spikes seen in today's hardware. Considering how cheap a new PSU is compared to a GPU and I'd upgrade/replace it.

4745454b

Titan
Can it handle that? Most likely yes. Should it? Not a chance. First issue is the age of the PSU. They don't last forever, and that's a very old PSU. Not only is it very old, it simply wasn't built to handle PCs of today. It has no way to handle the power spikes seen in today's hardware. Considering how cheap a new PSU is compared to a GPU and I'd upgrade/replace it.

Reactions: CallMeSherwin
Solution

4745454b

Titan
The easiest thing to point out is that capacitors lose their ability to hold a charge. Meaning eventually it won't be able to discharge and recharge in the timeframe needed. If they are of a low enough quality they can even leak/explode. This is very bad. Seasonic is a great manufacturer and is known for using quality components. But nothing lasts forever. That was a great PSU when it came out, but we are talking 10+ years ago.

It's not the degration only. It's also the platform. Seasonic M12II up to 650w has a double forward topology with group regulation. Good for 15 year old hardware with a very static load but not for modern stuff that has a much more dynamic powerconsumption. Second reason to replace the dinosaur of a Seasonic are the bad and even missing protections.