PSU for new build

xjokerz

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
There is so much misinformation about power supply units. A lot of calculators are inaccurate, and I would like to know from all of you the opinion of this PSU i bought. The PSU is the MWE Bronze 500 watt 80 bronze by Cooler Master. It will be set up with this configuration:

i7 8700k (if I can with this PSU I might OC to 4.9-5.0)
Asrock z370 extreme4
16 GB (2 x 8 GB) Gskills ripjaws 2666 mhz
500 GB Samsung 960 EVO
(debating whether or not to get a 2 TB storage HDD)
Gigabyte GeForce 780
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
APEVIA X-TROOPER Series (has several 120mm fans and 1 200 mm if that makes a difference)
20 inch Dell 2007 fp monitor
Some entry level Logitech speakers

I won't be playing many games. In fact, all I play is WoW (not even on strong settings) and I'm thinking of some older games I missed from the mid 2000's (if I even do that, I've been busy lately). If the opportunity is there, though, to play some nicer games with this PSU that would be a bonus. I'm mainly getting this GPU as a bonus (trading this current rig to my brother in law for the card).

I know I should have gone with the 600-650, but will the 500 work without worrying about overheating and damaging any components in the long run?

Thank you to all.

Solution
The hyper212 is a 140w cooler. TDP for your cpu is 95w. Problem lies with the TDP. That's a guage set for nominal, everyday heat when used with average workload apps. Peak power is the actual maximum attainable and is @1.5x cpu TDP. That's at stock settings. Basically with any of the @140w budget coolers you are going to run into high temps since any hard push is pretty much going to match TDP with temp as the cpu can Peak at @140w, same as the cooler, so if the cpu can hit 95w output, you'll hit 95°C. Which can and does happen with WoW, as that's a high cpu usage game on upto @8 threads. Hyperthreading is going to be the enemy here.

I'd suggest you look at at least the mid range coolers, like the dark rock 3, Cryorig H5, Noctua nh-d14...

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
You can swap in any known good 500W PSU you can borrow and test it if possible!
Otherwise as the gtx 780 itself can draw 350-400W, I would not recommend building a 500W PSU into the system.
Or you can choose a newer gen GPU with lower power consumption.

xjokerz

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

This PSU is rated 5 eggs on 12/12 reviews at Newegg, and 4.4/5 at Amazon (some have different power levels but same brand and model). I didn't figure it was complete garbage.

Does anyone else have opinions on this PSU before I return it and pick up something else?

Good for frying your parts.

It's a low quality budget PSU and it's only a 456W PSU at that.

Amazon and New Egg reviews mean ZERO.

You need a good quality 650W PSU.

Seasonic Focus Plus 650W
Corsair RMX 650W
EVGA G3 650W

xjokerz

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
How often are PSU's DOA? I have read reviews of people hooking up their rigs and within a few minutes or a day the PSU is clicking, or it has fried every component, etc. Is it really something I should worry about especially in the shipping process since someone could possibly drop the package somewhere?

With quality units I wouldn't worry about it, they are packaged very well, especially Seasonic units. You are getting one of the best PSU's on the market today.

You could drop one off a building and it would likely be fine the way they are boxed.

xjokerz

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
I think I'd rather spend a little extra for the long run to ensure I have a top quality PSU. This one seems really good.

About the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO: why exactly is it crap? Could you go into detail for me? I don't know a lot about these things. Thank you.

It's not exactly crap, but it's not that good either, it's fine for some things, but not if you want to OC, still a budget cooler and you do get what you pay for with CPU coolers.

You are getting an i7 8700K and want to OC it, that cooler is just not good enough.

Here is a list of a bunch of coolers compared, and this is on a CPU that is not even near as hot as the i7 8700K. The 212 EVO is actually one of the worst coolers out there when compared to others.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Noctua/NH-D15/6.html

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The hyper212 is a 140w cooler. TDP for your cpu is 95w. Problem lies with the TDP. That's a guage set for nominal, everyday heat when used with average workload apps. Peak power is the actual maximum attainable and is @1.5x cpu TDP. That's at stock settings. Basically with any of the @140w budget coolers you are going to run into high temps since any hard push is pretty much going to match TDP with temp as the cpu can Peak at @140w, same as the cooler, so if the cpu can hit 95w output, you'll hit 95°C. Which can and does happen with WoW, as that's a high cpu usage game on upto @8 threads. Hyperthreading is going to be the enemy here.

I'd suggest you look at at least the mid range coolers, like the dark rock 3, Cryorig H5, Noctua nh-d14 or Phanteks tcp14 etc as they run @180-200w, which puts them right around the recommended cooler range of 2x cpu TDP. Going big air or big aio won't hurt either, just means the fans will never ramp up, so remain totally silent. You can't over-cool a cpu, but most definitely can under-cool one.

Solution