[SOLVED] PSU for next gen RTX4090 GPU with 12700K

Hard_ware

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2015
I am in the middle of a build (12700K) and I intend to put an RTX 4090 for VR into it - as soon as available.

I prefer to have a semipassiv PSU which should be not audible at all.
Do you think I should go already for a 1000W PSU or will 850W be enough?
If 1000W I intend to take the Corsair 1000W HX
if 850W is enough I would take an Rmx 2021 850W.

Thanks for your suggestions

Lutfij

Titan
Considering that the RTX4090 is possibly going to be the flagship out of Nvidia's lineup, it's also rumored to be more power hungry when compared to the RTX3000 series. In that regards, I'd advise to pick the larger 1KW unit or if at all possible, wait until the GPU is released. In the interim period, work with a PSU that's meant to power your current build.

Reactions: Hard_ware

Hard_ware

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2015
Considering that the RTX4090 is possibly going to be the flagship out of Nvidia's lineup, it's also rumored to be more power hungry when compared to the RTX3000 series. In that regards, I'd advise to pick the larger 1KW unit or if at all possible, wait until the GPU is released. In the interim period, work with a PSU that's meant to power your current build.
Thanks for your advice: Yes for my build in progress an 850W would be enough (RTX 3080) andeven for an RTX 4080- just wanted to avoid having have to buy a new PSU in case I can will be able to afford the RTX 4090 :)

Corsairs Rmx 850 2021 or 1000 HX (I think already a few years old) do not have any coil sound during low power office usage (zero rpm mode alsways on?)?

Last edited:
No telling when the next gen 4000 series cards will be available, nor what the scalpers will bid the price up to.

I might expect the next gen cards to use ATX v3.0 connectors.
No doubt, current adapters will be available for current gen psu's.
But I think if you can use your current psu until then, I would do so.
Here is a bit more about it:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-atx-v3-psu-standard

Solution
No current PSU has any 12VHPWR connectors and RTX 4090 will surely need some. This
The PSU reports to the PCIe card, through sideband signals, its power capabilities, so the latter can set its power limit accordingly.
means ATX 3.0 needs to communicate with anything connected to 12VHPWR connector, so obviously any adapter to make current PSU work with 4090 is not likely to happen.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I am in the middle of a build (12700K) and I intend to put an RTX 4090 for VR into it - as soon as available.

I prefer to have a semipassiv PSU which should be not audible at all.
Do you think I should go already for a 1000W PSU or will 850W be enough?
If 1000W I intend to take the Corsair 1000W HX
if 850W is enough I would take an Rmx 2021 850W.

Thanks for your suggestions
From just the leaks I have seen the 4090 by itself could draw a whopping 850 watts.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
No current PSU has any 12VHPWR connectors and RTX 4090 will surely need some. This means ATX 3.0 needs to communicate with anything connected to 12VHPWR connector, so obviously any adapter to make current PSU work with 4090 is not likely to happen.
The part of that 4-pin part that defines power capabilities is completely passive, there's no communication. It's simply a matter of shorting pins to ground so there's no need for this connector on PSU itself, the PSUs that would be able to work with GPUs that would need this connector, would work with a simple 3x8-pin to 12VHPWR cable with control pins shorted as the capabilities of the PSU and the cable allows. But it's too early to say if any of non 1.2-1.6kW PSUs would actually work with GPUs using the new spec to the full potential. You can probably assume that 1.6kW PSU and most 1.2-1.3kW PSU should tho, but again, i'd rather buy a PSU that's confirmed to work when you'll need it, i.e when you'll actually get the GPU on hands.

Hard_ware

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2015
The part of that 4-pin part that defines power capabilities is completely passive, there's no communication. It's simply a matter of shorting pins to ground so there's no need for this connector on PSU itself, the PSUs that would be able to work with GPUs that would need this connector, would work with a simple 3x8-pin to 12VHPWR cable with control pins shorted as the capabilities of the PSU and the cable allows. But it's too early to say if any of non 1.2-1.6kW PSUs would actually work with GPUs using the new spec to the full potential. You can probably assume that 1.6kW PSU and most 1.2-1.3kW PSU should tho, but again, i'd rather buy a PSU that's confirmed to work when you'll need it, i.e when you'll actually get the GPU on hands.

Sounds very reasonable.
Therefore, I might stick with an 850W PSU for now and will buy a new one in case I need it for a GPU RTX 4080 or 4090 (depending on price)

TRENDING THREADS