PSU for OC Core i7 & 2x 5870

Gartmon

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
My question is pretty straight forward. What kind of PSU will I need if I want to overclock a Core i7 and 2 5870's in crossfire? I know very little about PSU's. I tried using some website to calculate how much power I would need, and it gave me 500w total for all my components, but that doesn't include overclocking, and plus it just seems wrong? I much rather get information from a place I trust like this one. I noticed that the enthusiast gamer build on this forum includes a 850w PSU, but I want to see if theres anything else I should know.

Solution

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hdd-backup-recovery,2450.html

Make sure to input EVERYthing including external USB, OC voltage and speed, fans ....as I said everything......capacitor aging should be relatively small (10%) for good PSU's, higher for bargain brands. Notch it up a bit of you think you'll keep many years or will beat the hell outta ya system :)

Take your answer and multiply it by 1.2 to 1.5 depending on how hard you push your system.

If budget allows Antec SG-850, then Corsair HX-850
If you have case that can use it Antec...

Gartmon

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
So according to that I would be getting around 600w of usage at load for the whole system? But why would you suggest 850w? You think when the 6core cpus role around I will need the extra power? Im building this system with the future in mind. I plan on only geting one 5870 for now then upgrading to another one when the prices have fallen lower.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hdd-backup-recovery,2450.html

Make sure to input EVERYthing including external USB, OC voltage and speed, fans ....as I said everything......capacitor aging should be relatively small (10%) for good PSU's, higher for bargain brands. Notch it up a bit of you think you'll keep many years or will beat the hell outta ya system :)

Take your answer and multiply it by 1.2 to 1.5 depending on how hard you push your system.

If budget allows Antec SG-850, then Corsair HX-850
If you have case that can use it Antec CP-850 is a huge bargain
If budget constraints Antec TP-850 / Corsair TX-850 or 750

Solution

Gartmon

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

So will the antec ninehundred two case work with the Antec CP-850?

EDIT: Found out it doesn't work in the 902. So I went with the corsair 850tx and the antec 902. I mean, it can't hurt having the extra power, and I want to keep this system for a long time. Plus it comes with a nice rebate. I actually really needed a case badly,my PSU I have now is super super crappy, it is embarrassing how cheap it was, and I'm about 90% sure it is what is causing my system to crash.