PSU for this specs

Reddington

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
Sorry if this is the wrong section for this, I wasn't sure on which one to post.

Ok, so my plan is to upgrade my PC. Its CURRENT specs are:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV (rev. 2.2)
Memory: 8GB RAM DDR3
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3330 3.00GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650Ti
PSU: Gamemax ATX5850W (500W)

I want to get a new GPU, and I've chosen the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. However, I have a few questions:

Would I have any compatibility problems (or any other) if I placed the 1050Ti on this motherboard?

Is this PSU good enough for the new specs? I've been trying to check with some PSU calculators, but the results have been a little confusing to me.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Heavy-duty protections, including OVP (Over Voltage Protection), UVP (Under Voltage Protection), OCP (Over Current Protection), OPP (Over Power Protection), SCP (Short Circuit Protection), and OTP (Over Temperature Protection)

They're the protection circuits the evga 600 has - they cover pretty much everything.

In essence they should protect the PC itself from minor surges & power fluctuations.

Whether you use a surge protector is entirely your choice , some do some don't.

They will not protect from a major surge, in essence the only failsafe is that the PSU tends to pop first 99 % of the time.

It's an average quality psu at best though still a big stepup from your current one.

I'd rather see you take a seasonic s12 520 or a...

Reddington

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
Thanks for such a quick response. Anyone has a different opinion?

Also, I'm aware my current PSU is a low quality one. As a result, I'd rather spend money on a new power supply than on another GPU because it's been damaged.

So, considering a PSU change, would any of these be a good option for those specs (with the 1050Ti)?
If so, which one would be the best (or is there anything better)?
Is 500W recommended, too much or?

Corsair 500W 80 Plus White VS500 CP-9020118-LA
EVGA 600W 80 Plus 100-W1-0600-K
Cooler Master 550W Elite V3 MPW-5501-ASAAN

Jwpanz

Honorable
A 500W unit would be perfect for your system. With your current specs, you would never come close to using that much. Either of the units you have listed would be a good choice. Personally, EVGA is my go-to company for quality PSU's. Corsair and Cooler Master are also great brands along with SeaSonic.

The plus with your system is that the 1050ti is a low wattage GPU and will not demand much from your PSU.

Reddington

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
I see. I'm going to change PSUs just because I don't wanna risk damaging stuff in case of power loss or something like that.

Just one more question: how many power does this settings require? I'm wondering if the PSUs I've mentioned would support another 8GB 1333MHz/1600MHz RAM stick and maybe a cooler fan, along with the 1050Ti of course.

Thanks again for all the help!

Your current PSU has a grand total of 168w on the 12v.

Its essentially a 200w PSU with a 500w badge so yes 100% replace it.
I find it hard to believe it's actually run that system fine with the specs it has!

Those Psu's you listed are all fairly low end though.
Out of those the evga is the best but still not great.

Where are you buying from ?
There may be better options , you really only need a good quality 350w+ unit for your components.

I'd always take a good quality lower wattage unit over a poor quality higher wattage one any day of the week.

Reddington

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
I'm still deciding what to replace and what works better, so I have yet to choose a store to buy the PSU/RAM stick or anything else. I'll probably buy everything on a store here at my country.

Its essentially a 200w PSU with a 500w badge so yes 100% replace it.
I find it hard to believe it's actually run that system fine with the specs it has!
Any suggestions on a good PSU?
What about the extra RAM stick and cooler fan? What'd be the increase on the amount of power needed?

Jwpanz

Honorable
RAM and coolers (fan and heat sink) are not really a factor in deciding on a PSU. They consume very little power. You can have 4GB and up to 32GB and not have to worry about your PSU keeping up with them.

Here are the main things that determine your PSU needs:
CPU
GPU/Graphics Card (and the cooling system it uses).
Cooling systems like AIO's and custom water cooling systems.
The number of hard drives you have.

Reddington

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
Makes sense. Well, I don't know much about PSUs, but I believe I need a PSU that has a good fail safe in case it's needed and provides the power needed for the PC specifications. Is that correct?

Reddington

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
Ok, but in case a surge occurs, would only the PSU be gone or is there a chance of other stuff being damaged?

And the final question: is that EVGA PSU (600W 80 Plus 100-W1-0600-K) good enough taking into account all aspects (security and power needed)?

Heavy-duty protections, including OVP (Over Voltage Protection), UVP (Under Voltage Protection), OCP (Over Current Protection), OPP (Over Power Protection), SCP (Short Circuit Protection), and OTP (Over Temperature Protection)

They're the protection circuits the evga 600 has - they cover pretty much everything.

In essence they should protect the PC itself from minor surges & power fluctuations.

Whether you use a surge protector is entirely your choice , some do some don't.

They will not protect from a major surge, in essence the only failsafe is that the PSU tends to pop first 99 % of the time.

It's an average quality psu at best though still a big stepup from your current one.

I'd rather see you take a seasonic s12 520 or a corsair cx450/450m if they're available at a similar price.

Solution

Reddington

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
The seasonic you've mentioned would be twice as expensive. However, the Corsair CX450/450m is at the same price range.

Thanks a lot for all the explanations and patience!

What country are you actually in ??

If you're in the uk where we have fused plugs (& when buying a psu below 600w always change the included 13a fuse for a 3a) & probably the most stable mains voltage in the world you are ALWAYS a much lower risk than other countries.

If the CX 450 or 450m are available (the only difference is semi modular cables) they are far far better quality Psu's than the evga & have more than enough power for those components (they'll take any GPU upto & including a 1080 let alone a 1050ti)